Songs Of Sex Workers Volume 2
I don’t believe I’ve ever posted a compilation with four rap songs on it, but pimpin’ & being pimped is common subject matter in rap, so Tone-Loc, LL Cool J, Salt ’n’ Pepa, & Taraji P. Henson get us started off in style.
A Van Morrison-less THEM supply Street Walking Lady, but there’s also mention of Red Light Ladies, Chelsea Girls, Willie The Pimp, & Charlotte The Harlot.
Elvis Costello sings of Love For Sale, Guns N’ Roses relates the tale of My Michelle (who’s daddy was in porno), & Aerosmith are Back In The Saddle, again.
I don’t think I knew that Gary Numan’s Are 'Friends' Electric was about the world’s oldest profession before I started my research for this series—nor The Kings Of Leon’s Arizona.
Morrisey weighs in, as does David Bowie, & Nico, & Ramsey Lewis dusts off Never On Sunday.
We’d really appreciate it if downloaders either leave a comment or join our conversation.
ReplyDeleteI’d like to know what' your favorite MOVIE about a SEX WORKER?
I’ll go first. Mine is LEAVING LAS VEGAS.
Here’s the link:
Songs Of Sex Workers Volume 2
https://pixeldrain.com/u/LdpkYBpj
Taxi Driver for me Stinky
Delete"Are you talkin' to me?"
Great one, Hal. I'll be using some stills from it as artwork for future volumes. I'm up to Volume 6 already!
DeletePoor Things is worth a gander also
DeleteThanks, Hal. I'll check it out!
DeleteI did check it out, and I have heard of it. I have it saved in my list on one of the streaming services.
DeleteFor the curious, it's a reworking of FRANKENSTEIN, starring Emma Stone, that has fantastic cinematography & a great cast:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14230458/?ref_=fn_t_1
I can second the recommendation of Poor Things. The director (Yorgos Lanthimos) has made some fascinating films (including The Lobster and The Killing Of A Sacred Deer). The sets alone would be worth watching, even if the movie wasn't good.
Delete1. I think Norwegian Wood would fit in your list and Kid by Chrissie Hynde.
ReplyDelete2. Jane Fonda in Klute. (Didn't Barbra play one in The Owl and the Pussycat?)
Barbra also played a high-priced coll girl (quite convincingly) in NUTS.
Deletewww.imdb.com/title/tt0093660/?ref_=fn_t_1
Does Trading Places count? Aside from JLC's character they're all whores, although not necessarily sex workers.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'd say it counts, DZF. Thanks for weighing in!
ReplyDeleteThis one will be completely unknown for most of you here, but Keetje Tippel was a big thing in the Netherlands at the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwoJPES88Xs
ReplyDeleteKeetje Tippel is a 1975 Dutch film directed by Paul Verhoeven and based on the semi-autobiographical novel by Neel Doff. The film tells the story of Keetje—played by Monique van de Ven—a young girl who moves with her family from Friesland to Amsterdam in the hope of a better life. However, she finds herself facing the harsh reality of poverty, exploitation, and ultimately prostitution as she attempts to save herself and her family from their dire circumstances.
How uplifting! And here in the states, I thought Verhoeven came out of nowhere! Thank you, Koen.
DeleteKeetje Tippel did regain a rather good life in the end, unlike Van De Koele Meren Des Doods, (The Cool Lakes Of Death) a devastating movie from Riches to Rags, when a rich lady and her free-love live was not suitable for the late 19th century, she gradually goes down on opium, and ends as a sex worker in Paris, and perishes
DeleteChristiane F, wir Kinder von Bahnhof Zoo, also a good movie.
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2026/06/17/_telefoonwinkels-schuldslavernij-en-miljoenenwinsten-megaproce/
Here is a recent story, one of the dozens coming out these months. translates into english easily.
For the record. I have never been with a prostitute.
Frankenhooker!
ReplyDelete"Wanna date?"
A cult classic for sure! Thanks!
DeleteFrankenhooker was fun, but I don't think I need to see it again. I'll nominate another film that I never want to see again -- I can't call it a favorite, but it was compelling, disturbing and memorable: Requiem For A Dream.
DeleteREQUIEM FOR A DREAM is basically OLD YELLER with adult themes!
DeleteKlute
ReplyDeleteA tasteful selection, Mr. Grimsdale. Thank you.
DeleteMcCabe & Mrs. Miller - old school - great cast!
ReplyDeleteAs we've come to expect, your choice shows you to be an EX-MIXER of great taste and distinction.
DeleteGreat work as always, Stinky. I had no idea either that some of these songs were about the "world's oldest profession".
ReplyDeleteThanks for the work of pulling these together. Not a movie, but the show "Margo's Got Money Troubles" with a more current look at the oldest profession.
ReplyDeleteThanks Vbbill, I'll have to check MARGO out!
DeleteAnora
ReplyDeletehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anora
ANORA sounds great!
DeleteLeaving Las Vegas
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on LEAVING LAS VEGAS, Anonymous.
DeleteI once rented it on Christmas Eve because that year, I was unable to spend it with family, I was COMPLETELY OVER CHRISTMAS, & I wanted to watch the LEAST Christmas-y film I could find.
The clerk at the video store looked at my selection, & his lips parted briefly, like he started to suggest that he just charge the FULL cost of the DVD to my credit card (rather than renting it to me) because; "You're obviously planning on killing yourself, right??"
We rarely have to exercise comment moderation here, but maybe the topic of this post stirred some darker thoughts. One deleted comment was from a reader who dislikes hip hop (which is fine in itself, but the opinion was expressed in a very unpleasant and derogatory manner). Another reader wants to share comments that are both too personal and too political for this forum. Today's question is about movies, not about your views on sex work itself.
ReplyDeleteCall it censorship or cancel culture. I have made a few political remarks on this blog, so you can call it hypocrisy as well.
Stinky and I are in agreement: we are fortunate to have readers who keep things fun and light-hearted, and we prefer to avoid the negativity, arguments and insults that seem to be everywhere on the internet these days. There are many other sites where you can engage in that.
If your comment does not appear here, it has been deleted for the reasons listed above, which are not open for debate.
Well said, Jon.
ReplyDeleteAnd if I can add on to that (speaking only for myself) I don't find posting a LONG LIST of songs that (a visitor feels) fit a theme/series helpful.
I'm often six volumes into a series like THIS ONE before Vol. 1 is even posted, so doing so is kind of like walking up to someone in the middle of telling a joke at a party, & beating them to the punchline. The suggestion(s) may already be on the next volume, & then I feel like I have to thank someone/give someone credit for suggesting something that's been utilized months earlier. It's awkward.
We DO ask our beloved visitors to comment, so I'm NEVER going to complain if you share one or two slightly obscure songs that are PERFECT! Then, it's sharing something the commenter is passionate about--which is what we do here--rather than "quantity over quality"! So, as much as I honestly value/appreciate feedback, I won't be approving lists of songs that rain on a parade I've spent months organizing. :)
Two volumes, and no Tattooed Love Boys by the Pretenders? For the movie, Dr. Detroit?
ReplyDeleteHiya, Piehammer, and thank you for commenting.
ReplyDeleteUnless the Dr. Detroit version is different, TATTOOED LOVE BOYS doesn't fit the theme (although it's been used in my LOOSE series).
My understanding has always been that it's about an assault--which our good friends at Far Out Magazine confirm:
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/song-tragic-assault-of-chrissie-hynde/
I believe Dr. Detroit was suggested not for the song (which tells an awful story but contains one of my favorite guitar solos of all time) but for its plot, which is awful in a different way. "Clifford Skridlow (Dan Ackroyd) teaches at a small Chicago college run by his father. Conned into managing four prostitutes by their pimp (Howard Hesseman), who skips town to escape the mob boss."
DeleteMy wife and I once bought tickets to a bad Dan Ackroyd movie so that we could make out at the drive in. Maybe it was The Great Outdoors.
DOH! Of course!
ReplyDeleteSONGS OF SEX WORKERS Vol-01 marvelous compil, But Vol-2 and Vol-3 links are working but files are empty Could you repost it please
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure why folks who wish to remain Anonymous is having problems with Pixeldrain, but both files downloaded & unzipped perfectly for me.
ReplyDeleteHere's a TEMPORARY file of the two you couldn't get to--but I'd suggest trying another browser in the future:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/q8eo4zaj9fxftp6/S%255B%255Dng%2524_%257B%257Df_%25243--_VV%257B%257Drk3r%2524_V%255B%255Dl._2-3.zip/file