Saturday, July 4, 2026

HAZLEWOODIZM: Incurable Lee

Lee Hazlewood spent most of his adult life in a psychiatric hospital.  “Haze” (as his fellow inmates called him) couldn’t sing or play any instruments, but was convinced that he could become a pop star.  He befriended Duane Eddy, a young hospital orderly who played guitar to entertain the patients.  Hazlewood made up band names and song titles in exchange for cigarettes. 

Duane Eddy’s success in the music business made Hazlewood bitterly jealous. He began writing songs day and night, and insisted on making a record.  Duane got Hazlewood a recording contract on the advice of the staff psychiatrist, who thought it might cure Hazlewood of his monomania.


To everyone’s surprise, Hazlewood’s debut wasn’t a complete disaster.  Haze escalated his demands.  He was obsessed with the original “Brat Pack” – Sinatra’s daughter Nancy, and the sons of Dean Martin and Desi Arnaz.  He wanted them to record his songs.  His original lyrics read like a confession (or a threat):


These boots are made for stalking

And that’s just what I’ll do

One of these days, the cops 

Are gonna catch me stalking you

ARE YOU READY, NANCY?  BETTER START RUNNING!


Nancy Sinatra never met Lee Hazlewood -- their duets were recorded separately.  She had a restraining order against him, and was terrified that he would one day escape or be granted release from the psych hospital.


Hazlewood’s next demand was to make a record with Ann Margret.  Hospital administrators were improperly swayed by the possibility of meeting the popular sex symbol.  But she was almost as delusional as Hazlewood about her own singing ability, and the pairing was a flop.


Hazlewood’s treatment team decided to invent a fake duet partner for their patient. This too backfired.  The album Requiem For An Almost Lady was written after Haze discovered that “Suzi Jane Hokom” was pure hokum.   Heartbroken and betrayed, Hazlewood spiraled into a deep depression.



A series of LSD treatments finally relieved his depression, and Haze found a new obsession.  This time it wasn’t a celebrity: it was an entire country.  And now he wanted to make movies as well as albums.  Hazlewood never actually visited Sweden.  Everything was done on a soundstage, constructed by hospital staff for their famous patient.  Everyone had to wear costumes and pretend to speak Swedish.  The ruse was abandoned after the record buying public lost interest.  


Hazlewood’s later albums are rare because “Lee Hazlewood Industries” was a vanity label that existed only to press small quantities of Haze’s music during his declining years.  Lee Hazlewood was one of the first “outsider” artists in pop music. He belongs to the tradition of Wild Man Fischer, Daniel Johnston, and Wesley Willis.


24 comments:

  1. Lee Hazlewood Covers, vol. 1: https://pixeldrain.com/u/ofKqKfTU

    Lee Hazlewood Covers, vol. 2: https://pixeldrain.com/u/kp6G7rW1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I didn't know ANY of this! THANKS!

      Delete
    2. I may have hallucinated it (like AI slop), but no water was wasted. However, these trivial facts are indisputable: Neko Case sings the Maow song; OP8 is Giant Sand (with Lisa Germano); Goodbye Mr. MacKenzie was Shirley Manson's first band: Jonathan Fire*Eater begat the Walkmen; Cop Shoot Cop begat Firewater; and the Go To Blazes album was produced by Eric Ambel!

      Delete
    3. What a story, absolutely bonkers, but BRILLIANT, well done, Jonder! And 2 great cover compilations, what more could anyone ask for (besides women, drugs, booze, & money)?!

      Delete
    4. Well, as long as no water was wasted I don't see any harm. Have a great holiday weekend, guys!

      Delete
    5. Just checking back in after a brief hiatus. Greatest tale I've read in quite some time. The Haze in a haze. Really cheered me up. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Huh.

    Was Elvis aware of any of this when he recorded "The Fool" in 1970?

    (Not the unrelated 1973 song of the same title he also recorded, written by someone else)

    Elvis Presley - his vast and wide musical interests even extended to Outsider Music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James. Jon posted this & flew the coop, so it's left to me to thank you for your comment!

      According to Mojo Nixon ELVIS IS EVERYWHERE, so it's possible he also KNOWS EVERYTHING!

      Delete
    2. Here is a true strory: When one dies, one goes to the great inbetween nothingness where god sits at his desk. I know, I was send back. I asked if I could go to heaven, and god looked up. Heaven?, he said. Didn't you always deny me? Haven't you said that I should be taken from behind? So, heaven is a bit big, or do you want to say sorry right here and now, I might give you a chance...
      I said sorry oh lord, and he took me to the two doors. One is heaven and one is hell. You choose. I asked him where Bob Marley is, he said hell, cause he might be a hero to many, but he was a no good father. And 2-Pac (Hell), Biggy? (Heaven, that man had nothing to do with that beef, he was murdered over nothing). Wow, eh, Reagan (Hell), Khadaffi (Hell) Michael Jackson (Heaven) WHAT? and Elvis? Elvis?, said God, Elvis lives!

      Thanks Jon. I heared a Dutch/Belgian cover of Summer Wine called (Magic Potion) Toverdrank by Guido Belcanto and An Pierlé
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzV5M-X_VhU skip the first 43 seconds (tv intro)

      Delete
    3. So did god spit you out to wander the earth again, like Jonah from the whale? Or are you in purgatory, stuck between floors on his holy elevator, unable to go up or down?

      I also question the theology of your discography. If I were a god, I might have forgiven Marley and sent MJ to hell. To hell with Elvis as well (though he was a hero to most, as Chuck D once said).

      Delete
    4. Speaking of "The Fool" (which James mentioned), the cod reggae version by Mano Negra is one of my favorite songs from this collection.

      Delete
  3. If anybody should happen to run into Jon out there, please say "ta" on my behalf. You know, one of the most ironic parts of the saga is that those other inmates probably had no idea that "Haze" was in fact the nickname for Hasil Adkins (who was a perfectly normal feller and not at all a bedlamite like this so-called Lee Hazlewood).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about Hasil (and the Legendary Stardust Cowboy) while writing this foolishness. How many degrees of separation really exist between Lee and those marginalized artists who sang "in the key of Z"?

      Delete
    2. That's an interesting point to raise. On the one hand, there's clearly something outsider-ish about Lee Hazlewood. (There might be something Sonny-Bono-ish about him, too, though I absolutely do NOT have in mind the mustache.) Yet it obviously wouldn't make a lot of sense to call him an outsider. Could he perhaps belong on a fringe out there with Kim Fowley -- I mean, minus the unconscionable baggage and sociopathy?

      Delete
    3. I think you nailed it! I wasn't conscious of the similarities between LEE & SONNY, but they are definitely "twin sons of different mothers"!

      I don't think Jon will mind if I hand out a NO-PRIZE on one of his posts--so here you are, Crab Devil:
      https://www.mediafire.com/view/gh1ihqh5gw6l2d5/Marvel_No-Prize.jpg/file

      Delete
    4. Why, thank you, Stinky: I will immediately deposit my NO-PRIZE in my NO-SAFE lest nothing happen to it!

      Delete
    5. I thought Haze was Eddie Hazel.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You're quite welcome! I tried to focus mainly on songs that have not appeared on Lee Hazlewood tribute albums, such as Total Lee (2002) and Son-Of-A-Gun (2016) -- although there are a few from the latter. And no covers of "Boots"!

      https://www.discogs.com/release/882241-Various-Total-Lee-The-Songs-Of-Lee-Hazlewood

      https://www.discogs.com/release/9006819-Various-Son-Of-A-Gun-And-More-From-The-Lee-Hazlewood-Songbook

      Delete
  5. So wanted to see King Loser on there but then they never actually covered Hazelwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up King Loser on Discogs. That's some fine NZ low-fi fuzz n' reverb madness -- thanks for the tip!
      "Morning Dew" sounds very much like a Nancy & Lee duet, and "Heazlewood's Brain Is Calling" is an excellent Angry Samoans reference.

      Delete
  6. Kind thanklings to yee Yonder! I have a few Lee Hazelwood vinyl I've been saving but didn't know him at all so this post is quite good for me. I will have to pull them out for next week to keep up with the Jonkee's!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great, in case people want to hear the original recordings!

      Delete