Wednesday, July 15, 2026

IN THE MIX Susan Cowsill Edition Vol. 2: LUCINDA WILLIAMS, PSYCHO SISTERS, & HOBART BROTHERS!


IN THE MIX Susan Cowsill Edition Vol. 2


On this installment, our hero is joined by fellow Crescent City music legend LUCINDA WILLIAMS on the first song.  How do you follow that?  With some PSYCHO SISTERS tracks; Heather Says, & Never Never Boys.  Susan’s partner in that group, VICKI PETERSON was also her bandmate in CONTINENTAL DRIFTERS, who were captured live on NYC’s WFUV, and at NJ’s Court Tavern.


SUSAN’s solo tracks this time around are limited to her cover of Glen Campbell’s Galveston, & the absolutely adorable Itty Bitty.  Of course there are more tracks with her siblings including Hello, Hello--the song from their 1969 live album that introduced me to Susan when I was a kid.


There are more recent live tracks by THE COWSILLS taken from The New Orleans Jazz Festival, Huckabee’s, and the benefit concert for their brother Billy.  There are also studio tracks, an a cappella track, and a Non-LP cut by the band; You (In My Mind)--a song that brother JOHN COWSILL recorded with his wife VICKI PETERSON on their Long After The Fire Album.  


Jon threatened to smash my dinner plate, & saw off my corner of the table, if I didn’t include Ballad of Sis (Didn't I Love You), so it’s here.  It’s actually one of my favorite tracks, as things turn out.  It’s credited to Jon Dee Graham, Freedy Johnston, & Susan Cowsill—better known as THE HOBART BROTHERS & LIL’ SIS HOBART.  Anyone who’s washed dishes in a restaurant knows exactly where their name comes from.


Finally, there’s a song from a live performance with DWIGHT TWILLEY at Rockabilly's in Houston—a show that’s well-represented on Volume 3!





 

53 comments:

  1. Downloaders are requested to leave a comment, or to join to the conversation.

    It’s a common practice for two well-known performers to record a one-off album together.

    It’s less common when THREE performers collaborate on an album, as Jon Dee Graham, Freedy Johnston, Susan Cowsill did as THE HOBART BROTHERS & LIL’ SIS HOBART.

    Please share your favorite one-off release by a trio of artists (who were successful outside that trio) or your recipe for ranch dressing.

    Here’s the link:
    IN THE MIX Susan Cowsill Edition Vol. 2
    https://pixeldrain.com/u/7KLYAjpE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll put forwarded the - so far - one off of Case,/Lang/Veirs. (Also...my fave Susan song is "Someday" from he Continental Drifters' "Better Days" album.) (Again also...I saw the Cowsills in late late December, 1971, at the important Pasadena CA folk club The Ice House. I've read that Susan had quit the band that year, so I probably didn't see her, but the rest of them were great...kinda a country-rock sound.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Case/Lang/Veirs is a great record. Another one-off collaboration from three successful artists that I still enjoy is Them Crooked Vultures -- Josh Homme (QOTSA, Kyuss), Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters), and John Paul Jones from Led Zep. They really sounded great together.

      Delete
    2. I'm gonna have to give Them Crooked Vultures another listen!

      Delete
    3. If TCV's record didn't do much for you, it may be more appealing to watching them in action. Here's a full set from Rockpalast (2009). On songs like "Scumbag Blues", you can see on their faces how much they enjoyed playing with each other.

      https://youtu.be/Ty8Yj2FCab4?si=SdfVEapfz-AnOOO9

      Alain Johannes (the bald guy who looks like Frank Black) was a touring member., so onstage they were a four man trio.

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Jon. I'll check it out!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your favorite TRIO, Guypinot.

    The Ice House was an amazing venue. First as a folk club, then a comedy club!

    A version of SOMEDAY is on a future volume (I've finished 6) but I can't remember if it's the CONTINENTAL DRIFTERS version. I try to mix it up & to use a lot of live & "live-in-studio on radio show" tracks in hopes folks will buy the studio albums after hearing my compilations. It also serves to pull in the folks who HAVE the official releases. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I could only think of 3 artists touring together (Dave Edmunds, Graham Parker, & Dion - Nick Lowe, Paul Carrack, & Andy Fairweather Low), but they never released any albums... Then I thought I had a good one: Tell Me Something: The Songs of Mose Allison! However upon checking the 3 artists concerned - Van Morrison, Mose Allison, & Georgie Fame - I discovered I'd forgotten a 4th one: Ben Sidran... Despite that it's an excellent album! But not a candidate to answer your question...
    Even so, this one qualifies: Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris - Trio from 1987!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the words of magician/comedian RICH MORATTA: "If it was easy, EVERYONE would be doing it!"

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this second volume. I actually saw John Cowsill and Vicki Peterson at a show in LA a couple of years ago. They were the opening act for . . . don't kill me, people! . . . the dB's.

    The other thing is that I've lived in Pasadena since the age of 16 -- that is, starting around 1976 -- so I'm really, really pleased to see Guypinot and Stinky over here chatting about the Ice House. That venue is still in business as a comedy club, not that I've attended in at least a couple of decades. Back in the day, though, I was fortunate af to go there for performances by Big Mama Thornton, Big Joe Turner, Roy Brown (and those are just off the top of my head so far as concerns the blues legends in particular) as well as John Fahey and even Agent Orange. It was THAT kind of a place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You & The Ice House have a rich history, Crab Devil! What a list of artists!

      Delete
  6. Bennett Wilson Poole did a really nice one-off but then they did it again five years later, so I guess it's not a one-off anymore (a two-off?). Do you count a one-off that becomes an occasional band, like boygenius?

    Loving the Susan Cowsill stuff, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Works for me, JPB in DC. I'm so glad to hear you're digging the Susan Cowsill music. If you missed them, she pops up on my IN THE MIX Vicki Peterson Edition series, as well. I tried not to duplicate tracks--but there may be some overlap!

      Delete
  7. I also wanted to put Emmylou, Linda and Dolly, but they did a Trio 2 in 1999. I think Snake Charmer by Jah Wobble, The Edge and Holger Czukay.
    Before I give you a recipe I have a question. When is it a dressing and when a sauce. Is ketchup a dresing? Mayonaise, Mustard?
    One of my favorite is this one
    Mix a fresh eggyolk, with a little white vinegar, mustard and a pinch of salt (no sugar). While mixing add rapeseed oil (slowly, but steady tiny stream) untill it is Mayonaise. You need surprisingly much oil, and that is ok.
    For the sauce, chop a hardboiled egg, parsley, shallot, a little pickled gherkin, some capers en chives. Chop it a bit finer, please, mix with the mayo, let it rest for an hour and serve cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Richard.

      I'm sure you've made a lot of WORLD CUP visitors happy with that Ranch Dressing recipe! (I'm not sure of the difference between a sauce and a dressing.)

      Delete
    2. Oh, how could I forget that one! Jah Wobble, Jaki Liebezeit, Holger Czukay – How Much Are They? Just one ep in 1981, but still one of my favourite records!

      Delete
    3. Over here a dressing is in between a vinaigrette and a sauce. A vinaigrette is clear, Mustard, vinegar, oil (p/z) maybe lemon. A dressing may contain egg yolk, extra yoghurt or mayo to make it thicker but still liquid, and a sauce is well thick (all in cold room temp)
      I'm not sure about the world cup reference.

      Delete
    4. I had RANCH DRESSING on my mind, because visitors to the U.S. (where Jon & I are) for THE WORLD CUP went crazy for Ranch Dressing. It's common fodder for memes. I bet you'll see one, now that I mention it.

      Delete
  8. The case/viers/lang record is really good. As is The Haden Triplets (Petra, Rachel and Tanya), with incredible vocal harmonies, though as they are sisters, I don't know if that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful addition, James. I didn't think of THE HADEN TRIPLETS, and I'm compiling an IN THE MIX Petra Haden Edition!

    I feel you've earned a no-prize:
    https://www.mediafire.com/view/gh1ihqh5gw6l2d5/Marvel_No-Prize.jpg/file

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great blog, such great shares--and commentators! Jon Dee was an old friend--from like 1978--and has recently passed; such a loss of a super talented and wonderful human being. Y'all should check out his amazing work with the The Skunks, True Believers, and solo. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Eric. I've been a fan of Alejandro & Javier Escovedo (together & separately) so I'm hip to TRUE BELIEVERS but, until I discovered THE HOBART BROTHERS, I didn't even know the SKUNKS existed & I checked them out. Good stuff!

      Delete
  11. Guess I'll add one one off that I posted in the past: Gary Moore, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce BBM! Thanks Stinkeroo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD ONE Viacom. Jack Bruce has tried several different trios, and duos. Him & ROBIN TROWER were a good pairing & they brought drummer Gary Husband along for the ride. https://www.discogs.com/master/427500-Jack-Bruce-Robin-Trower-Seven-Moons

      Delete
  12. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong--an always reliable assumption--but both this link and the previous Susan Cowsill one say they are invalid after I DL them--any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you scroll down on the VOL. 1 post, I re-upped it for someone else who were having issues.

      I suggest you try a different browser (I recommend DUCK DUCK GO or OPERA) & come back if you still can't download this volume.

      I find it's almost always browser-related.

      Delete
    2. I can't get it to work from Vol 1 and I tries 3 different browsers--so my loss. I've never had this issue before with yoru stuff or with pixel for that matter. Go figure. Anywhichway, thanks for what you do!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for checking different browsers, Eric. I'm just trying to figure it out.

      I've uploaded this installment on another site for you, as I did for Anonymous on Volume 1.

      I want folks to enjoy what we share, but I don't want to have to keep reposting them for folks who are UNI-BROW. :)

      I downloaded my original file from pixel & then uploaded it on media--as I did with Vol. 1. Maybe one of our readers has an idea what the issue is?

      https://www.mediafire.com/file/9p5q2xsa4q9u9tz/%2521N_%252BH3_M1_Sv%2524an__%257B%257Dws1ll_3d%2521t%2521%257B%257Dn_V%257B%257Dl_D%257B%257D%257B%257D.zip/file

      Delete
    4. Here's the link for Vol. 1 (from the comments) that I steered you toward, Eric:
      https://www.mediafire.com/file/c7eoc16b99gmcbg/%2521N_%252BH3_M1_Sv%2524an__%257B%257Dws1ll_3d%2521t%2521%257B%257Dn_V%257B%257Dl_WUn.zip/file

      Delete
    5. I will add my 5 cents here on your issue Eric S. as I think I know it. I have to change the gobblygook names of the Jonky files both on outer file name and inner file name. The way I do this is by 'opening with' my old WinRAR freeware that hasn't failed me in the 20+ years I have used it. The newer windows right click on title auto extractor fails all over the place....here I zipped it for ya and for anyone else who might need a 'back-up' extractor. Cheers! https://bestfile.io/lfUmgxaCdW1EpYs/file

      Delete
    6. THANK YOU VCMD:

      I THOUGHT one of our readers might have a solution.

      Please let us know what works Eric, so we can tell other folks who are having difficulty.

      Even though two NO-PRIZES on a single post isn't in the budget--you've earned a no-prize Viacom:
      https://www.mediafire.com/view/gh1ihqh5gw6l2d5/Marvel_No-Prize.jpg/file

      Delete
    7. I had the same problem with an earlier comp and opening it with WinRAR is what worked for me as well. It worked again with the two Susan Cowsill comps.

      Delete
    8. received one of these a loooong time ago... I had sent a Christmas card to Marvel offices addressed to every writer/artist/inker/letterer I could find. A few weeks later I get the envelope. Inside was a copy of a Ditko Spider-man black-and-white ink with dozens of autographs by those staff members and a Marie Severin heart drawn over Spidey's chest logo. Still have it, of course.

      Delete
    9. That's so cool, Anonymous.

      Before the days of comic book stores, it was difficult to get every issue of a MARVEL title at 7-11's, and the like, so I subscribed.

      Somewhere along the line they bestowed a NO-PRIZE on me, and it was a thrill--so I thought I'd attempt to do the same for our readers!

      Delete
  13. Thanks, y'all--will give it a go this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eric, I really hope it works for you, if not, well than that would be a heavy assault on Stinky's budget for no-prizes. I use jdownloader and that not only downloads, but unzips. If it gives an error for a file, I usually read the back flap of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and try again after reading. To avoid panic, I will give the complete text to you all, as I am not always a ......... The text is "DON'T PANIC"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cry Cry Cry was a folk supergroup, consisting of Richard Shindell, Lucy Kaplansky, and Dar Williams that released an album of cover songs in 1998.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT one, Berni!

      I thought of one since I asked the question.

      THE THORNS: Matthew Sweet, Pete Droge & Shawn Mullins. Another folk-y supergroup.

      Delete
    2. That's a good one too!

      I haven't found an album yet (I hope there's one in the works) but the Toy Factory Project is a Southern rock supergroup that's been touring featuring Charlie Starr from Blackberry Smoke, Oteil Burbridge from The Allman Brothers Band, guitarist and singer Marcus King, founding member of The Marshall Tucker Band drummer Paul T. Riddle, Josh Shilling on keys, and Jimmy Rector on percussion.

      Delete
    3. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that one, Berni. Thanks!

      Delete
  16. Here's one other: Khaled, Taha, Faudel and the beautiful 1,2,3 Soleil

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did anyone mention Little Village (John Hiatt, Nick Lowe & Jim Keltner)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You left one guy out, Berni: Ry Cooder.

      Delete
    2. Jim Keltner plays on THE THORNS record!

      They do an amazing note-for-note cover of THE JAYHAWKS Blue--one of my favorite songs:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmfQRMLjmxE

      Anyone who enjoys covers as much as I do should like my REUPHOLSTERED SONGS comps (& more to come!)
      https://jonderblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Reupholstered%20Songs

      Delete
    3. Cool! There was a really interesting guest post of covers at Butterboy's this week. Also, I ran across 2 unexpected covers myself this week. Lesley Gore doing Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap) anyone?

      https://mega.nz/file/S2hRDLbJ#TqlktvGPLla9SZhV1lhFrLsoWxtjLOI646DuGMCVsis

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. De nada, Hippie! Circle back & tell us what you think--and there's more to come!

      Delete