There's some overlap here between my Tribute To Punk Compilations and this one, as some compilation albums are the source of both punk and post-punk tracks. Punk never ended, and there's not really a date or event that divides punk from post-punk. If there were a dividing line, some artists would criss-cross it throughout their careers.
There are some legendary names and tracks here, and some forgotten ones. The last song ("Room With A View") may leave some listeners wondering. It's included as a reminder that "low fi" and cassette releases existed long before labels like Shrimper started another musical movement. But I chose "Room With A View" mainly because it's a song that still gets stuck in my head and tickles my ears all these years later. It's a one-off from an unidentified LAFMS contributor to the Light Bulb Magazine #4 "Emergency Cassette" from 1981. I bought the double tape set from LAFMS way back then, and bought it again from Tedium House decades later when it was unofficially reissued on CD-R.
Speaking of compilation albums, the Old Melodies blog has just posted the Pebbles and Ugly Things series of garage rock compilations. If you don't have them, get over there! And keep going back to Themes From Great Cities, where AJ is posting tons of punk and post-punk comps and classics. Vibes is another great blog, recently posting the comps Blank Generation, Guerilla Girls, You're No Big Deal, and that most unexpected K-Tel comp -- Gimme Indie Rock!


Compilation of Post-Punk Compilations: https://pixeldrain.com/u/qM1GuHSK
ReplyDeletehey Jonder many thanks for the shout out about vibes. We are still not 2, but growing daily
DeleteThank you for all the great music you share -- keep that rebellious jukebox rocking and rolling!
DeleteThank you!
ReplyDeleteGreat compilation! I wish in my lifetime they would re-release IRS greatest hits volume 2 & 3 & also The Concerts for Kampuchea with full band sets. I would love to hear the full sets by The Pretenders, Elvis Costello and The Specials in their prime back in 1979. It was a great time for music!
ReplyDeleteBest regard
Zippy
It would be great to hear the full sets from the Kampuchea concerts, and the Urgh ones too! Thanks, Zippy.
DeleteRebellious Jukebox was my introduction to THE FALL! This looks great!
ReplyDeletethat is where reb.jukebox comes from my shortened version.
DeleteZero. I had zero of these growing up. I was a little late to the early post-punk world. BUT... I did happen upon the Wire "On Returning (1977-79) tape and that was a pretty full tape of Wire. I wore that one out. I'm sure it listed what year or album the tracks were from, but I just lumped them all together as one big album with a LOT of variety. Same thing with The Damned's The Light at the End of the Tunnel collection. Lots of variety on that one too. I started learning that punk was a larger umbrella than what GBH made me think it was. It seems like there were a few single band punk tape samplers around 1986-89. Ramonesmania (which was great but really did sound like it was all from the same album). The Story of The Clash was another one, but that one wasn't that good. Or maybe I just really never got that into The Clash. Thanks for the comp!
ReplyDeleteI had Ramones Mania and On Returning too. Wire was a band that grew leaps & bounds from one record to the next, but Ramones were really all about perfecting a brilliant formula. For a long time It's Alive was the only Ramones record I needed, but it didn't have Airwaves, KKK, or R&R High School,
DeleteMania was missing now i wanna sniff some glue and judy is a punk which are two of my favorite songs and didn't hear them until a long time later. Could have switched those out for Wart Hog.
DeleteNig thanks. Wargasm is a great one. It says thanks to The Mob - No Doves Fly Here but that isn't included. I very much like "Just when you tought it was QUIET" Lots of fun ones. Geyser, Avon Calling etc etc
ReplyDeleteWargasm was my first exposure to Flux Of Pink Indians, and I really liked "Their Decisions" by The System. Wish I'd bought Avon Calling, Bouquet of Steel, Hicks From The Sticks, etc. back then.
DeleteAu Pairs sound *incredible* in Urgh! A Music War. Leslie Woods recently gave a great interview for the podcast Revolutions per Movie, recounting her experiences making that film. I'm pretty sure Urgh! has the only known film footage of Pere Ubu's classic (1975-1982) era.
ReplyDeleteWanna Buy a Bridge? is a stone-cold classic compilation, which has never been reissued, probably due to licensing complications. It's incredibly easy to create your own version, these days, though.
I gather from the band's Facebook page that there is some kind of dispute between Leslie Woods and the other Au Pairs, which is a shame. I was late to Pere Ubu. The first time I saw Urgh, I couldn't understand why they wanted to do stuff like "Birdies" when they had been such an amazing rock band (Final Solution etc.) I didn't know about RFTT at the time and didn't realize that those songs were ancient history to Ubu. But then "Misery Goats" on C81 sounded so great, with the amazing bass playing and Mayo's guitar. Herd em up, Tex!
DeleteI imagine there's not a lot of live footage of XTC either, since they stopped doing concerts after Andy developed severe anxiety. I kinda wish the Urgh producers had chosen a better Magazine song than "Model Worker". It doesn't really represent the band's strengths (IMHO). But there are few if any other missteps on the song selection for Urgh.
Just realized that the tracklist should have credited "Man Next Door as a song from Wanna Buy a Bridge. Oops! Amazing record, thanks James!
DeleteEnjoyed this mate. Cheers. That D-Rings track is a gem. No recall of the band at all. Regards, J in Liverpool
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed it! I reposted my compilation of live Embarrassment tracks from last year (with my thoughts on the Embos documentary film). The post got a comment from Bill Goffrier (guitarist of the Embos and Big Dipper), which was gratifying. This year a NEW remaster of old Embarrassment songs (including "D-Rings" was digitally released: https://theembarrassmentofficialbandpage.bandcamp.com/album/skeel-sessions
DeleteMy live Embos comp (which also includes D-Rings): https://pixeldrain.com/u/xLbDMWX3