Have you ever run across a CD that got tucked away by mistake? And finding it was like running into an old friend? That’s the way it was when I was reunited with today’s share. I wore this huckleberry out when I first compiled it a LONG time ago.
I considered rebranding Willie Nelson Is King as one of my IN THE MIX comps, but I have great affection for it just the way it is.
It starts with one of my favorite songs, one of the first songs John Lennon & Paul McCartney ever wrote together; One After 909. In a feat that hasn’t been achieved very often, Willie’s version just may outshine any of their attempts to commit it to tape.
I’m a giant Willie Nelson fan, & I’m ashamed it took me this long to post some kind of proof of the fact. The same goes for Phil Harris—and there’s a song here that was a staple of Phil’s repertoire; Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette, & one that should have been; My Window Faces The South.
There are other old songs (like 1948’s Far Away Places) which Willie has always relished polishing up for public consumption. It’s heavy on his Django Reinhardt-inspired jazzy fingerpicked numbers—the most surprising being Willie’s version of ZZ Top’s She Loves My Automobile. Nelson resuscitates another song most of us have heard a thousand times; Paul Simon’s Still Crazy After All These Years. As great a songwriter, & a guitarist as Willie is—he’s an indescribably inspired song stylist.
I’ve studied every version of his wonderfully autobiographical Me & Paul (English, not Simon). The live version here is probably my favorite. As usual, I obsessed, so you don’t have to.
There’s a reason The Red Headed Stranger is in demand as a duet partner, & it’s not just his world-wide fame, or fan base. He’s one of the best there is. I love how Willie’s craggy vocal blends with Carrie Underwood’s fresh out of the box sounding voice on Always On My Mind.
Lucinda Williams, a heavyweight singing partner in her own right, joins Willie for her song Overtime. Like Wilco, they are clearly trying to break your heart. So are Willie & Alison Krauss on No Mas Amore, I suspect. There are also duets with Sheryl Crow, Rosanne Cash, Ray Price, & Faron Young—who was one of Willie’s oldest friends.
So I hope you enjoy the company of my old friend—I feel you two will get along.
We ask downloaders to please leave a comment, or join in our conversation.
ReplyDeleteI’d like to know who you feel is a legendary duet partner? I’ve listed at least two in my post: Willie, & Lucinda Williams.
Who would you nominate for The Duet Singing Hall Of Fame?
One per person please—as on Halloween—leave some for the next visitor.
WILLIE NELSON IS KING:
https://pixeldrain.com/u/yMJYGZ9F
John Prine
DeleteWay to start us off Me n the Reeds! Thanks!
DeleteMark E. Smith
DeleteThe fabulous Emmylou
DeleteNice to see you, Berni.
DeleteThanks! You know, I never paid much attention to Willie. He has always just sort of been there, in the background. I had his Christmas CD "Pretty Paper" but that was it. Then I started doing a Western Swing project and he kept popping up. Not just the "Willie and the Wheel" album but all over. I ended up putting together a volume - Swingin' Willie - and it had a lot of duets too (Ray Price, Lyle Lovett. Merle Haggard...). That plus watching his Austin City Limits episode and I'm a new Willie convert, better late than never, so I'm looking forward to giving this a spin. Merci beaucoup!
DeleteMark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell did some really good stuff together- a branch off the Lee Hazelwood/Nancy Sinatra tree (which I believe is the Jacaranda which flourishes in the desolate, gritty and godforsaken California desert).
ReplyDeleteIlse DeLange. I recently made a duet cd tribute with her collaborations. Thank you, Stinky.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in my teens country was the devil's music. Christians they called that cult. And only a handful made decent music. IA friend had three great albums to prove that there was good country. Shotgun Willie, Redheaded Stranger and Phases And Stages. All three Willie. You know when some said disco sucks and disco is all the same? it's 1-2-3-4 a handclap and 120 bpm? For a long while country was just a product.I think that there can be hardly any greater crime against music than Line Dancing.
Fear not, there is Hank, Willie, Johnny, Jerry Lee and a trio of heavenly girls Dolly, Linda and EmmyLou.(yes dozens more but that' was the average one percent)
De nada, Richard!
DeleteSome great duet partners are named here. Mark Lanegan had an incredible range of collaborations during his too short life. I love to hear Emmylou with just about anybody; same with Lucinda. Richard mentioned Linda Ronstadt, which reminded me of her lovely duet with Aaron Neville.
ReplyDeleteThere's a 1994 album called "Rhythm Country And Blues" that paired black and white singers on a series of duets to illustrate the similarities and compatibilities of "white" country music and "black" blues (and soul). My favorite track is the duet between Lyle Lovett and Al Green on "Funny How Time Slips Away". It doesn't seem like it should work: Lyle has a limited vocal range, while Al Green's is virtually unlimited. But I think the character of a voice counts for a lot, especially when it is a unique and immediately recognizable voice like Willie's. John Doe and Exene are great duet partners, even though her voice is occasionally off-key.
https://www.discogs.com/master/191076-Various-Rhythm-Country-And-Blues
I agree that LYLE & AL's version of Funny How Time Slips Away was great, Jon. It's like a magic trick for your ears when two voices that are THAT different compliment each other.
DeleteDid you know that LINDA RONSTADT & AARON NEVILLE were in a long-running relationship? I'm a big fan of Linda's & I didn't know. I only recently stumbled across it while scouring the internet for OTHER trivia.
As always you two (and your readers) inspire me to greatness! (1) Thanks Jonder for duets vinyl i just got for a steal.as makes sense with what I have thrust up in the past. (2) Thanks Stinky for the question because it allowed me to finally fetch at youtube (more a studio sound than vinyl so I don't mind) the Paul Laurence albums while answering your question regarding a legendary duet partner: "Cut The Crap" that he did with Janice Dempsey for full point score!!!! Still think those lyrics and combo is top tier & unstoppable!!!!~~~
ReplyDeleteThanks for weighing in VCMD. Here's that song for the curious:
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fttpc4dwzPI
Thanks for this neat Willy collection! As we seem to be in a 'country mode', how about Motörhead's Lemmy duet with country singer Lynda Kay: The Mask? Judge for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4LKdEcDGdM
ReplyDeleteNice one, Koen. Thanks for commenting.
Deletegot to put Emmylou in the duet champs category.
ReplyDeleteOne hundred percent, Vincentsear!
DeleteFor a duet with Willie, how about Toots Hibbert.
ReplyDeleteI first read your comment as just best duo, and The Everly Brothers would be hard to beat.
Looking forward to hearing you comp. Thanks
Nice one.
DeleteI love The Everlys, lemonflag. They're another act that I really need to post something by!
There is duet from
ReplyDeleteFrançoise Hardy & Ben Christophers on his song My beautiful demon., which is stunning . available here https://youtu.be/SqzCjtbx9TA?si=xCbPnsYmjH2qPRyo
That song somehow got past me--thanks for turning me onto it, dchughes62!
DeleteThanks for your nice comp, Jon-Ky. Been a fan of Willie since he released Stardust years ago and saw him in concert about 1980 here in Philadelphia. Have most of his albums and one is autographed! Love his guitar playing. As far as a duet partner, I love Willie's version of ONE MORE COWBOY with DAN HICKS. Wish they did a whole album together like those Willie did with Roger Miller, Hank Snow, and others. - SteveR https://youtu.be/887DKQp1c84?si=5RHGSI1ZOJ7WSYDT
ReplyDeleteThank you for dropping by, & commenting Anonymous. That duet is going straight into my SPECIAL GUEST file!
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure and, Thank YOU, Stinky!
DeleteThanks for this. Willie has a great voice and this comp brings new songs to my ears.
ReplyDeleteThat's music to a music blogger's ears! Thanks Beemer!
Delete