Thursday, August 30, 2018

Blogging About Music Is Like Tweeting About Architecture

URGENT UPDATE: I Hate The 90's was hit with increased ISP fees and is in need of donations. This blog (despite its name) is a priceless repository of alt-rock from that magic decade, and Chel has always been very responsive to requests. Now she has a request for her readers: a few bucks to keep a fabulous music blog alive. Let's do it!

The Bleak Bliss crew is armed with crates of Caroliner, and Nathan Nothin' is dishing up sizzling hot dubplates like a stoned short order cook.  

Die Or DIY's rock tsar Jonny Zchivago took a vacation -- all those Jandek Mondays must have been too much to bear. RYP stepped out of the Twilight Zone for a vacation of his own. Coincidence?

Alabaster Jones, pharmacist at the Proto Punk Apothecary, has a black bag of bootlegs from the Runaways, Dead Boys, Heartbreakers, MC5, Only Ones, Patti Smith, Iggy, Dictators, Rocket From The Tombs, and more junk in a similar vein. Bootlegs are also behind the counter at Doom & Gloom From The Tomb and the mighty mighty McKenzie Tapes.

Voodoo Wagon and its sibling blog Floppy Boot Stomp have live recordings ranging from old punks (Television, Buzzcocks, Husker Du) to old farts (Beefheart, Zappa, Neil Young, Miles Davis) and points in between (PJ Harvey, Mazzy Star, Tom Waits). 

If punk rock changed your life, answer me these questions three: why does Dr. Drunk Ruin Everything? Why Do Things Have To Change? And am I destined to be Old, Weak, But Always A Wanker? Don't answer that last one.

Down Underground has done the world a service by compiling the complete discography of Scotland's sound sculptors The Rezillos. The Swinging Singles Club is back to its regular rotation after a season-long survey of the recorded works of Homer & Jethro

Y'all like mixtapes? I like the mixes Matt makes at Bigger Splashes, Jay Hinman's Dynamite HemorrhageIan Manire's  Musicophilia, Chris Bond's Vibracobra23, and (last but most bestly) Roy Pearl's The Un-Herd Music.

9 comments:

  1. This was a cool idea of a post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, and I hope you found some good blogs and music!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips; I only know a few of these blogs...and thanks for the shout-out to Voodoo Wagon (I'll be putting up some Asleep At The Wheel soon...for punk, my post of (hilarious) hard core band STIKKY is still alive, down in the archives...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always leave comments, but Voodoo Wagon and the Adult Bookstore & Motel are regular stops when I go blog hopping. Sometimes that good old cowboy and hippie music can out-punk the punks.

      Delete
  3. & jonderblog is a wonder slog thru the steaming bowels of the W3. Thanks for the mench. These criminals you expose are my only means of maintaining even the tiny shard of sanity (that & volumnous quantities of ganja) that I still have. My illness drives me to search for more & MORE MUSICK-SICK-SICK!!!. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at ya, brØther Nathan. I too am driven to hunting and collecting new sounds (and old ones). I suppose there are worse illnesses, and there's no one I'd rather commiserate with over this folie à deux.

      Delete
    2. Hi jonder, I just wanna say thank you for having quoted my blog in this awesome 'n' bright article.
      Mythkoz

      Delete
    3. Mythkoz, it is always a pleasure to find new posts of classic punk from around the world at your blog Old, Weak But Always A Wanker!

      Delete
  4. How does one contribute to I HATE THE 90's? I went there but don't see a donate button. I'm good for a few bucks... - Stinky

    ReplyDelete