Thursday, July 25, 2019

I'm Excited: Upcoming Releases and Recent Favorites

The Figgs' triple album Shady Grove comes out soon on their own Stomper Records label (watch the "Grab Your Pack" video here)... 

Redd KrossBeyond The Door opens August 23 on Merge Records (stream the title track here).  A two month US tour with Melvins starts on September 3rd...  

Braindrops by Tropical Fuck Storm also out August 23 on Joyful Noise (with US tour dates August 28 through September 14!) ...

On September 6, Iggy Pop will release a new album called Free ...

Magnapop's "The Circle Is Round" will be released September 27 on HHBTM (preview the song "Need To Change" here) ... 

The Mark Lanegan Band will release Somebody's Knocking October 18 on Heavenly Recordings.  The "Stitch It Up" video features Donal Logue reprising his character “Jimmy The Cab Driver” ...

I'm also excited that early recordings of The Embarrassment have surfaced online, including a rehearsal tape and demos from 1979, studio tapes (1981-83), and much more audio and video of the legendary blister pop pioneers from Lawrence, KS!

I can't stop listening to the 2018 self-titled debut by Rotterdam punk-pop band Lone Wolf.  You may think "the band name is generic", or "the genre has been done to death", but rarely is it done this well.  The songs stick in my brain like bubblegum, and they are performed with passion: anthemic vocals and guitar by Ms. Merel Schaap (ex-Bat Bites), and an airtight rhythm section that kicks like an MMA champ.

Another newish band I'm stuck on is Upper Wilds, a power trio led by the enormously talented Dan Friel from the late great Parts & Labor.  You can stream or buy their 2018 album Mars on Thrill Jockey's website or on Bandcamp

6 comments:

  1. Just checked a few tunes out by Upper Wilds, BIG sound.
    Got my attention indeed.
    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you dug it! The album Receivers by Parts & Labor is another album with a BIG sound that keeps me coming back.

      Delete
  2. I'll be sure to check them out as well a little later today.
    No doubt they will be worth getting excited about.
    Good job with having that ear to the ground jonder.
    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I am also 'Excited' about both of these projects by Dan Friel.
    Great recommendations jonder!
    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you back in the Twilight Zone, Timebender!
      I really like the new Swervedriver -- how about you?

      Delete
  4. Thanks jonder, I may as well ease back into some posting seeing I
    never quite got into the groove of this summer...I am usually very
    active outdoors/biking and such in my spare time.That's why I usually
    take such a long hiatus when the weather arrives. We'll figure out
    something for posting over here eventually as we'll if you're still up.

    Regarding the new Swerve...I have only heard what they performed
    live on KEXP so far. I will give them a proper listen soon, they
    are always consistently good to my ears. Talk to you soon.

    - Timebender

    ReplyDelete