Friday, February 5, 2021

Georgia Week Day Two: Love Them Satellites!

 

The Georgia Satellites, like their fellow Atlantans the Black Crowes, reinvigorated Southern Rock by bringing it back to basics: loud, bluesy and defiantly unsophisticated (which is NOT the same thing as stupid). 

If you've spent any time in the South, you're familiar with the practice of allowing someone to assume that you're a dumb hick. It's an efficient way to dismiss self-important windbags, and it's always entertaining to watch someone make a fool of themselves by thinking they know all there is to know.

The Satellites' debut combined Dan Baird's original songs with a couple well-chosen covers. The Satellites drew from the same well as the Stones and the Faces, reclaiming the American blues and Chuck Berry riffs that the Brits repackaged and sold back to us during the 60's and 70's.

Stinky has repackaged the Satellites' three albums by selecting live performances of each song, as he did for his previous Homemade Live Albums. It's a great way to revisit old classics.

This one was released on the first day of 1986. The band scored a #2 hit with "Keep Your Hands To Yourself", a simple but clever song about an age-old romantic dilemma, with Baird's laconic swagger and Rick Richards' stiletto-sharp leads.

7 comments:

  1. Georgia Satellites S/T Live: https://tinyurl.com/10lwr3um

    Another Stinky Production

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hedgens was in Buckhead. The Satellites played a weekly residency there. That was before my time, but I used to go to the 99 cent weekly gig at the Little Five Points Pub when Bruce Hampton started his Aquarium Rescue Unit, with Oteil, Jeff Sipe, Jimmy Herring, Dr. Dan and Count M'butu.

      Delete
  3. This is brilliant! Thank you very much for this excellent initiative. I followed Stinky's link on Guitars 101 and I discovered this fabulous blog. I was somewhat familiar with Jonder's name because he has posted some stuff on The Twilight Zone. I am currently listening to this Live Homemade album. It's fabulous! I do not post music very often, but I have been doing some artwork for some live bootlegs (a lot of them recorded by Jean-Olivier of Lyon Tapes). I am currently working on the Live at the Town and Country Club 1987 by the Georgia Satellites. If you feel like it, you can have a look. My production is modest and slow, but I like it. Heartfelt thanks from Mongolia. PS Do you guys know where to find Live pictures of the Satellites in Reading ? They seem to be scarcer than hen's teeth. Andre

    https://rockandrollbootlegcoversbyrockandre.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the shout out on your blog, Andre!

    (My bad on track 7 on the live version of the first album--that's a Dan Baird original DAN TAKES FIVE that I mistitled Golden Light from their THIRD album).

    Love your blog! I didn't comment there, because you don't accept anonymous comments, so I posted it here! - Stinky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much, Stinky for your nice comment and the answer about the mysterious track 7! Oh, sorry! I didn't know about that (not accepting anonymous comments). I am not super at ease with all these things that you can change on the dashboard, the settings and all that... I am going to try and find where and how to change the parameters... and all that stuff... Thanks again! Andre

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete