Thursday, July 22, 2021

Post Pistols: A Singles Chronology

Three of my favorite bloggers are posting music again: AJ (Themes From Great Cities), Ape Mummy (Primitive Offerings), and my brotherman Nathan (Nothin' Sez Somethin'). 

AJ recently shared the Great Rock & Roll Swindle soundtrack, and I've been listening to the Rich Kids (while prepping a Steve New primer). A thought occurred: what was it like for the true blue Pistols fans, who followed the music press and bought each record as it came out in the aftermath of the US tour?  With the help of Fodderstompf, Rockmine, and Phil Singleton's Cook And Jones website, a timeline was assembled.

Rich Kids: Matlock, Midge Ure, Steve New
January 1978: Rotten walks off at Winterland.  "Rich Kids" b/w "Empty Words" is released. 

June 1978: "No One Is Innocent" b/w "My Way" is released. 

August 1978: Ghosts Of Princes In Towers is released, and the Vicious White Kids (Sid, Glen, Steve New, and Rat Scabies) play a one night stand in London.

October 1978: Nancy Spungen is found dead, and "Public Image" b/w "The Cowboy Song" is released.

December 1978: First Issue is issued, and PiL plays London on Christmas and Boxing Day.

Oi! Where's the money?
February 1979: Sid dies. Lydon goes to court against McLaren. The Swindle soundtrack is released, followed by four singles with various singers (Sid, Jonesy, Ronnie Biggs, Edward Tudor-Pole and Whispering Malc).


April 1979
: Ultravox reforms with Midge Ure as singer. (Rich Kids had broken up sometime in 1978, before Midge and Rusty Egan started Visage.  Matlock and Steve New will join Iggy Pop's band before year's end.)

June 1979: "Death Disco" b/w "No Birds Do Sing". Stay tuned for Part 2...

18 comments:

  1. Post Pistols Vol. 1 (1978-79):

    https://www.mediafire.com/file/94m43nu7tobbwqo/PostPi$T0L$v1.zip/file

    Thanks, AJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jon...I think you have too much time on your hands, but thanks as always

      Delete
    2. My wife would agree! I think it's an interesting way to listen to the music "as it happened". Some of it's great, some not so good.

      Delete
  2. To quote Freddie Prinze: "Loooooking goood!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody help me: I've got "Friggin in the Riggin" stuck in my head, but with the lyrics to "It's Tricky" by Run-DMC. Imagine Steve Jones' leering voice:

      I met this little girrr-lee, 'er 'air was kinda currr-lee
      Went to 'er 'ouse and bust it out, I 'ad to leave real earrr-lee

      Delete
    2. As the pirate said when someone asked about the steering wheel stuck to his crotch, "It's driving me nuts!"

      Delete
  3. Jonder thx For this and a ton of the other comps, the Sager material was exceptional, it put me on to his fantastic work in other projects, I cannot thank you enough. A lot of hard work.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeremy! Glad you dug it. Those comps of Gareth Sager would have been hard work if he wasn't such a funny guy. That side of him came out after the Pop Group -- in RRP, Head, Pregnant, and his solo stuff. There's also a connection between Gareth and PiL through his wife, Jeanette Lee (and through drummer Bruce Smith).

      Speaking of which, "Y In Dub" (Dennis Bovell vs The Pop Group) comes out in October!

      Delete
    2. Tales of Ordinary Madness by Head!
      I cannot stop playing it, one of my most fave discoveries of the last several years.
      Thanks for the referral
      P.S. Gareth is hilarious!!

      Delete
    3. This was the review that gave me my first glimpse into the world of Head:

      https://trouserpress.com/reviews/head/

      Delete
  4. Trite but true: I was working at the Kingfish in BRLA when they played there and it was a thing, a moment, fucked me up for a week. When I got back to Austin for school two weeks later I was in search of a band to be in. We may have been, as a Britlish punk band member on tour in Austin who we opened for once remarked, McPunks, but it was an effin' blast. As for this, The Professionals "Join the Professionals" may be my favorite of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not trite, that's fantastic! I wish I had my own McPunk band to look back on. I like the way the Pistols toured the South rather than NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc. And when PiL did their first US tour, they found great local bands to open for them in each city. The Professionals are coming up next.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Their first three singles and their first Peel Session are included in today's compilation. There's more Rich Kids on the way when I finish my Steve New compilation. Stinky pointed me toward these two Rich Kids boots:

      https://www.guitars101.com/threads/rich-kids-%E2%80%8E%E2%80%93-marching-men-in-club.763266/

      https://www.guitars101.com/threads/rich-kids-tiffanys-halesowen-uk-30-01-78.763265/

      Delete
  6. Love these comps. Great sounds within and sometimes less so but always worth a listen. Thanks Jonder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great work; many thanks. I hate to be that guy (as they say) but you have included the Paul Cook-sung Silly Thing from the Swindle LP, rather than the Steve Jones version from the single. Also (sorry!) GSTQ Symphony should be the instrumental version, minus the McLaren voiceover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize the single tracks were different from the LP versions. Thanks! I think the "My Way" single is shorter than the soundtrack version as well.

      Delete