Sunday, February 27, 2022

Have You Ever Been To Budokan?

So you thought you might like to go to the show. To feel the worn thrill of contusions in space cadet clothes. But tell me: is something eluding you, sunshine? Is this not where you expected to be? 

And then tell me... are you... at Budokan? Have you ever been to Budokan? Well, I haven't. 

So let us go now, you and I, through the magic of stereophonic sound, to Kitanomaru Kōen in Chiyoda City, home of the Nippon Budokan! 

Jon-Ky Records' newest conceptual brainfart is a compilation of songs recorded live in Japan's famous concert hall, which was built for the Tokyo Olympics by the magical multi-talented members of Cheap Trick. 

You won't believe all the famous folks who have played there! The cover might make you think it's a sausage fest, but there's women too! We don't want Advil Le Vyngwie's lawyers shutting us down. Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated? 

All I can say is that certain names rhyme with Blinda Blondstat and Shmeryl ShmoeYou can trust me on that, or my name isn't Bill E. Squire. No need to call the blog PoliceBlurrrrgh! [Cue sirens, handcuffs click, gavel slams, cell door clanks, fade to black.]

11 comments:

  1. Live At Budokan, Volume 1

    https://www.mediafire.com/file/hhazx88oo7wb7l4/BUDOKAN_v1.zip/file

    Another JON-KY Production!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - for those of you who thought that "MSG" (on the album cover) stood for monosodium glutamate, it's actually Mike L. Shanker's Group.


      The "L" is silent.

      Delete
    2. Backup link on MEGA: http://tinyurl.com/JonkyNo2

      Mediafire link still works (23 months later), but ya never know, y'know?

      Delete
  2. All I can say is, brother, this is so f*ing cool. You can't believe how many times in how many record bins I'd seen Live / Budokan. I've never been & can't really imagine. Not totally into all the artists this represents but I'm so getting this. Can't wait to hear the start to finish. I'll be dreaming of Budokan.

    Gotta go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately for me (& all???) I get permission denied from mediafile. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try again, it works for me. Mediafire is wonky.

      Delete
  4. Good news! I just purchased Mediafire... It's gone from wonky to JON-KY! Their links often "play dead" and deny permission a time or two.

    Glad you like the idea for the comp, NØ. This one could fit in with two of our categories;

    1. Overused Album Titles (I feel it comes in second to UNDER THE COVERS) or

    2. Recorded at a specific venue like our IT HAPPENED IN JERSEY Vol. 2 - LIVE AT THE CAPITOL THEATER!

    Here's a link:

    https://jonderblog.blogspot.com/2021/04/it-happened-in-jersey-again.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! Thanks to team JON-KY Productions for another humbucker!

    It made me think of another possible "Meta" theme though it's not particularly clever and it's somewhat similar to Stinky's New York comp: Songs about places played live in those places.

    Songs about New York played in New York would not be particularly clever of course unless it was something like Fear's "New York’s Alright If You Like Saxophones" but there are some great songs about Detroit for example that probably have some great live in Detroit versions. Heck maybe an all Detroit songs played live in Detroit is a better idea; I don't know and decisions like that are above my pay grade. I'm going to stop rambling now and leave it to the professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone worth seeing has played Cobo Hall in Detroit--and they'd have played any songs they had about The Motor City when they did--so it could be a hybrid of the songs from a specific venue series, OR who knows--maybe a DETROIT WEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Glad you like it! Stinky came up with the concept, chose the songs, and did the cover art. I pointed him toward a few albums, and wrote the intro. He is not responsible for any of the dumb jokes.

      Delete