Friday, September 23, 2022

Songs That NRBQ Taught Us

The first NRBQ single was a statement of purpose: Eddie Cochran's "C'mon Everybody" with Sun Ra's "Rocket Number 9" on the flipside. Call them eclectic or catholic: the Q have always believed that great grooves can be found in any genre or era. 

Their catalog of studio and live albums contains a wide range of cover songs that date all the way back to 1907.  NRBQ plays blues, country, doo-wop, jazz, R&B, rockabilly, children's music and song poems -- often in the same set. They are the CBGB-OMFUG of bands.

Terry Adams has kept the music going for over 50 years. Omnivore Recordings released a new NRBQ album (Dragnet) in 2021, as well as the 5 disc career overview High Noon and reissues of NRBQ's 1969 debut and 1977's All Hopped Up.

Today we have the first of three sets of NRBQ's Jukebox. This one includes many of the pianists who influenced Terry: Fats Waller, Fats Domino, Charles Brown, Floyd Dixon, Piano Red, Tiny Bradshaw, Little Richard, Big Joe Turner, and Sun Ra. 

Two more volumes of NRBQ's Jukebox will follow, once I find the polka song "Daddy-O".  Grooves In Orbit credits it to "Santos". Is it a norteño? A Daniel Santos composition with new lyrics?  If you can tell me where the Q got "Daddy-O", I've got apples and peaches for you!

12 comments:

  1. NRBQ's Jukebox, Volume 1 (30 songs!)

    https://krakenfiles.com/view/TCKxIoU3bL/file.html

    I know there are older versions of "Cecelia" and "Won't You Come Over To My House", but the ones I included sounded better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Checkmates with Al Santos" a rare local Massachussetts 45

      Delete
    2. Robert wins the fabulous fruit arrangement! Many thanks, Robert. I never would have found it on my own!

      https://www.popsike.com/The-checkmates-with-Al-Santos-alsan-Massachusettes-Polish-Pop/403334097945.html

      https://youtu.be/1qLR0g_LtlY

      Delete
    3. Copyright for "I Love My Babciu And Dziadziu" (words and music) is registered to Richard Peter Kendra, who must be the "Richie Kendra" credited as vocalist on the 45 label.

      Delete
    4. Here's Richie Kendra singing his song, (the b-side of the "Daddy-O" single)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d_4hnhJXkw

      Delete
  2. It makes sense that Daddy-O's an obscure 45 by a Massachussets act. Great collection, Jonder. I'll definitely enjoy listening to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it was Tom Ardolino who dug up this private press single from Lowell, MA and brought it to the band.

      Delete
  3. Great concept! If anyone has a great genre-spanning jukebox it's the might N.R.B.Q.! Looking forward to this and the rest of the series :)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, jonder -- and well played, Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, do I LOVE this! Thank you, Stinky and Jonder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this page seeking info on "Daddy-'O," which was always a mystery. Thanks to everyone here for providing info on this obscure record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here! I miss your blog.

      The song was a mystery to me, too. I'm waiting for a copy of the single to arrive in the mail so that I can share it. Watch this space....

      Delete