Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Dr. Feelgood's Jukebox, vol. 2

Mickey Jupp's band Legend opens the second volume of Dr. Feelgood's Jukebox with 1971's "Cheque Book", and the party continues through the 1980's and into the early 90's.  Lee's last recording was 1994's live Down At The Doctors, which kicks off with Mike Morgan's "If My Baby Quit Me" (released in 1990) and "Tanqueray" (from the 1991 solo album by Chuck Berry's pianist Johnnie Johnson).  

Even near the end of his life, Lee Brilleaux had an ear for new tunes that would fit the Feelgoods' style.  I don't know if Lee personally chose all of the 50+ songs on these two sets, but he certainly would have had input into the Feelgoods' versions.

This volume includes some of Dr. Feelgood's early 70's inspirations, such as Legend, Mungo Jerry, and Loose Gravel.  Other songs were written by the Feelgoods' contemporaries (including Will Birch from The Kursaal Flyers, Nick Lowe from Brinsley Schwarz, and Larry Wallis).

Will Birch penned this fine remembrance of Lee Brilleaux, as well as a history of pub rock called No Sleep Til Canvey Island and biographies of Ian Dury and Nick Lowe.  There is a biography of Lee Brilleaux by Zoë Howe (who also helped Wilko write his memoir, Looking Back At Me).

It's been said that Lee Brilleaux's cheque book funded the founding of Stiff Records. The veracity of this claim has been disputed, but in the words of Graham Parker, "It's a lovely legend."

15 comments:

  1. Dr. Feelgood's Jukebox, Volume 2:

    https://krakenfiles.com/view/gGl5Gyp51Y/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we say here in Wiscahnsin, "'preciate it".

      Delete
    2. Alternate link (MEGA): http://tinyurl.com/FeelgoodV2

      Delete
  2. Didn't work for some reason as the downloader didn't open up, I tried another kraken link from my blog and no issues. Hmmmm. Great post though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been downloaded a few times, but I don't want you to miss it. Old reliable Zippy link for my bud VCMD:

      https://www62.zippyshare.com/v/jUaRk0fh/file.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jon Jonder (to the intonation of the old classic, 'my name is john johnson, I live in Wisconsin, I work in a factory there') LOL maybe a connection per your comment below going to check the link now

      Delete
    3. Funny, I useta live dere in Scansin, and I was yust writin bout M'waukee. Stay tuned, ya knob.

      Delete
    4. Thee best bands to come ooote of Scansin' IMO are the Crusties and Die Kreuzen. Danny and the DK boyz were regulars at our close scene and played First Ave. often but the Crusties never made it over to see us but my dorm bud Mohawked Jason was from that small scene and he saw the Crusties play at a closing record store and he said they all trashed it completely by the end of the show! A month ago I finally find their 'Don't You Think' seven inch which I had taped from Jason but finally someone put up a pristine copy on youtube--an unlabeled link I put up on the upper corner of the DU blog page where I post. I love everything about it with genius lyrics and is perhaps my fave 7" beyond that first Flesheaters 7, David Peel & Death Junk Rock 7 or the first Stains Born To Die 7 before they were MDC.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! Big thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome -- enjoy! Johnnie Johnson's album is a personal favorite; Keith Richards produced two tracks (and wrote "Tanqueray"). Terry Adams produced the rest, and NRBQ members are all over the LP. It's a joy. It was part of the Elektra Nonesuch label's "American Explorer Series" in the early 90's. Terry also produced a Boozoo Chavis album for that series.

      https://www.discogs.com/label/388713-American-Explorer-Series
      https://www.discogs.com/release/4978385-Johnnie-Johnson-Johnnie-B-Bad

      Johnnie B. Bad (1991): https://krakenfiles.com/view/JgR2ghc8ca/file.html

      Delete
    2. Too much is never enough! Do you think Lee was buried in that suit coat?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for jukebox v2 as well as the Johnnie Johnson LP.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I happened to have the Johnnie Johnson already, but I'm really looking forward to this second Jukebox volume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the mention and the link. There has been a delay with one of the main printers (the one used to supply the main US distributor), but they are working on getting that sorted out.

    As for the McGeoch biography, I read it last year as soon as it came out and really enjoyed it. And to bring things full circle, it was actually Michael who set me off on my (very belated) Magazine/McGeoch kick. I can't seem to find the exact quote in my archives, but he mentioned their album Secondhand Daylight at one point, so I got it and really liked it. Then I realized that the guitarist on these Siouxsie & the Banshees records I had (also belatedly) just gotten into was the same guy -- AND he was the same guy who played guitar on PiL's "Disappointed" (a favorite from my days of staying up late and videotaping MTV's 120 Minutes circa 1989).

    Anyway, I was impressed with the job that the McGeoch biographer did ... not to mention how quickly he got it all together. Highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete