Wednesday, March 13, 2024

House Is Falling

 

illustration by Luigi Pericle Giovannetti 
When Koen suggested this theme, I knew I had to include The Fall and NRBQ. Both bands had several "house" songs to choose from. I wanted to include "Kids Of The Black Hole" ("House of the filthy, house not a home...") but that might have bent the rules.

You might recognize "House Of Ecstasy" if you watched MTV in the late 80's.  The Cherry Bombz were a short lived group formed by Andy McCoy, Dave Tregunna, and Terry Chimes with vocalist Anita Chellama from Toto Coelo!  

If you've seen The Embarrassment documentary (now on Amazon Prime), you know why "Ron Klaus Wrecked His House".  "Fun House" is from The Stooges' legendary 1970 Goose Lake concert (an extraordinary archival find and an incendiary performance).  


Found another great live track on The dB's Repercussion blog (the blog is dormant, but the links live on).  The dB's performed "A Spy In The House Of Love" on a French TV show in 1988.  Will Rigby and bassist Jeff Beninato lock into the groove, and Peter Holsapple trades guitar lines with Eric Peterson (currently with Sarah Shook & The Disarmers).

I won't write about every song, but I want to mention Atlanta blues band Mudcat, with singer/guitarist Danny Dudeck, drummer Eskil Wetterqvist, and the late Lil' Joe Burton (who played trombone with blues legends BB King and Junior Wells, among others). Mudcat gigs were always joyful. "Rest in joy" Lil' Joe and Dexter Romweber.  Dex and Crow tear it up on Roy Orbinson's "Rock House".

12 comments:

  1. https://tinyurl.com/JondersHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know GOOSE LAKE saw release! A smashing comp! - Stinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection, another wonderful Jokonky release!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Jonder! Lots of fave artists on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MrDave! You met Carla Bozulich when both of you were young, right? I wonder how she's doing. Such a voice...

      Delete
    2. Yep, Carla and her brother went to my high school in Palos Verdes for a couple years and I used to commute with them to a family counseling program in San Pedro. They were a little older than me and would school me on all kinds of good music -- first heard Gun Club's Fire of Love when Carla played it for me in their apartment! Lots of good memories!

      Delete
  5. A typically top notch trio of collections here, quality assured. Coincidentally, there's been a house/home-themed series running on Twitter (yes, Twitter) for the past few days...if only they'd known the definitive comment was to be found here!

    As a huge fan of Julian Cope, it would be remiss of me not to crowbar in a couple of contributions from him, namely Strange House In The Snow (B-side of Reward by The Teardrop Explodes in 1981) and Homeless Strangers from his Citizen Cain'd album in 2005. There, I've done it.

    Keep up the great work, guys, it's always a real pleasure (& treasure) visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sincerely appreciate your comments, Khayem. We should invite you to our next cross-posting adventure -- choose a theme and post the mixes on Dubhed and jonderblog! Not familiar with this "Twitter" you speak of, but I remember the mp3 blog Star Maker Machine, which had weekly themes.

      I've spent more time reading Julian Cope than listening to his music, but recently discovered that one of his songs is a perfect fit for ANOTHER compilation I've been assembling.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the offer, I'd be up for that!

      Reading Julian Cope is an education in itself and glad to hear that the Arch Drude may be popping up in a forthcoming compilation. I'm biased I know but I'd say that I'd struggle to think of any themed compilation where I couldn't find a Julian Cope song that would be a perfect fit. Now, genre is another thing altogether, although I suspect he may have an unreleased drum 'n' bass album in the vaults!

      Delete
  6. Hey jonder and stinky, thanks for your comments at TZ! Here's my comps of House Music inspired by these posts - on Imagenetz!
    HOUSE COMPS

    Pt 1
    https://www.imagenetz.de/n94zC
    Pt2
    https://www.imagenetz.de/Wdg9H

    Thanks for the blog and the inspiration!
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's tremendous, Brian -- almost 50 "House" songs! Some of them I wish I had thought of, and some I would never have thought of!

      Koen, Stinky and I are glad you enjoyed the concept and that you put your own spin on it. Really nice work, including the cover image!

      Delete
    2. Really glad you liked it!

      Delete