Sunday, July 14, 2024

Let's Build A Carcass

Koen and Stinky recently shared compilation LP's that were formative influences.  The compilations that shaped my tastes (more than any album) were mixtapes.  Growing up in the suburbs without older siblings, I started exploring outside the musical mainstream by trading tapes with penpals, who I found via fanzines.

The Miami Carcass was a fanzine based in Oxford, Ohio (home of Miami University), and the guy who ran it (whose name I have regrettably forgotten) was kind enough to share advice on starting my own zine as well as sending me tapes.  It was 1981, so a lot of the first wave punk bands were gone.  Hardcore and anarchopunk were on the rise. "No Values" and "No Government" were nihilistic, raw and revelatory.


I was buying vinyl, tapes and zines by mail (and traded zines after starting my own).  There were so many records I wanted to hear, but I couldn't afford them all.  I asked my friend at The Miami Carcass for Crass, The Fall, and Adam & The Ants, because I had read about them in the World Update issue of Slash.  I also asked about records that were reviewed in the Carcass.  A couple of Ohio bands (Toxic Reasons and Dementia Precox) were on these mixtapes, as well as some wonderful surprises like P-Nissarna's pisstake of Plastic Bertrand.  

My interest in The FallRough Trade and San Francisco punk begins here.  Let's Build A Carcass (today's share) features most of what was on those mixtapes. 

PREVIOUSLY ON JONDERBLOG: WQFM'S "Q-Wave", a Milwaukee radio show that also helped me discover new wave, punk and local bands.

13 comments:

  1. How I Became A Carcass: https://tinyurl.com/MiamiCarcass

    Crass fans may note that "Mother Earth" is shortened. This is how I first heard it, without the intro or the final chord. The mixtapes were two C-90's, each with an album on the A side (Machine Gun Etiquette and the New York Dolls' debut), and these songs on side B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Some love for the early Adam & The Ants! I love "Dirk Wears White Socks". Still holds up really nicely today, where arguably some of the more acclaimed punk/new wave records don't...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessir! It's a shame that guitarist Matthew Ashman (Ants/BowWowWow/Chiefs of Relief) died at such a young age.

      Delete
  3. Thanks jonder. Now I get to explore a bit more of YOUR back story. Thanks, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I turned 15 in 1981. I had the misdirection and the bad complexion, and the girls wouldn't touch me; but I couldn't buy a ticket to a sonic reduction. At least my mom didn't kick me out.

      Delete
  4. 1966 turned out to be a very bad year, It was mine too. Doubled a schoolyear. Thankfully. From a Bruce class to the Blitz .
    I could share a tape I have: The Soft Spot For A Hard-Course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title sounds intriguing! We were born too late, you and I. I did get to see a few bands when I was underage: "If the cops come, hide in the bathroom."

      Delete
  5. Great blast from the part, thanks for sharing, jonder! In 1981 I turned 23...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an adult. When I was in my 40's, I wanted to be a kid again. Now I wanna be a retiree...

      Delete
    2. to Art58Koen...flip that, I turned 32...to jonder...now I wanna be your dog...

      Delete
    3. Nathan, you know I want you to be my dog!

      Delete
    4. Yeeks Nathan, you are a flexible man by most standards. I am getting visions of you lying in a corner at Jonders and licking your balls.

      Delete
  6. What a great collection of songs! I received most of my music education in the early 80s from zines (Flipside, Maximum Rock & Roll in particular) and mixtapes of friends' album collections as well -- what a time to be alive and turned on, tuned in and dropped out.

    ReplyDelete