Saturday, August 24, 2024

Country Boy: Albert Lee

Koen writes: I had heard Albert Lee’s guitar licks before, probably first on Emmylou Harris’ Luxury Liner (1977) and Dave Edmunds’ Repeat When Necessary (1979), but I wasn’t aware of him as an artist in his own right. I vaguely recall a Nicky Hopkins LP called Super Rock (1975), which prominently featured Albert. It turned out to be a reissue of 1968’s No Introduction… and has been reissued under various titles ever since. His name popped up again on Jerry Lee Lewis' The Session (1973), which I still consider a classic album.

Over the years Albert never featured much in my music collection until 2019.  That year I was going back to the Netherlands and had asked an old friend to check if any interesting concerts were happening during my visit. He replied quickly with a “How about Albert Lee?” That made me do some digital digging on YouTube and various music blogs, resulting in me being utterly shocked, how could I have missed this fantastic guitar slinger all that time?!

On the 5th of October, I went to Amsterdam, met my friend Hendrik, and we moved to a place called the Q Factory. Everything looked quite new, and the concert area was not that big which suited us fine. After a beer or two, it was time and we went inside, standing only, none of that ‘remain seated please’ nonsense.

Albert & his band started playing (on time!), great sound, brief but fun interaction with the audience and they gave a hell of a show. Most of the songs were familiar classics and to hear these finally played live professionally was awesome!  The only worrying aspect was the fact that 98% of the audience was gray-haired, similar to Albert!  It does make one wonder how long concerts like these will continue…

Earlier this year Jonder, Stinky, and I were brainstorming about possible future Jokonky projects. My suggestion, an Albert Lee retrospective, was well received (as presently there aren’t any!) and you have the results here.

It was difficult to come up with a good selection for a single CD, as Albert has recorded so many great tracks, but I thought it would be fitting to start and end with his signature tune ‘Country Boy’ as well as several collaborations with the Crickets, Hogan’s Heroes, Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, and others.


[Note from jonder: Albert Lee is touring the US in August and September (and the UK in October) to promote his new album, Lay It Down. He pays tribute to his influences with versions of songs by the Everly Brothers (The Price Of Love), Glen Campbell (Less Of Me), Jimmy Webb (Too Young To Die), the Flying Burrito Brothers (Wheels), and others.  Visit Albert Lee's official website for tour dates!]

ELSEWHERE ON JONDERBLOG: Stinky's compilations of Bill Kirchen, another Master Of The Telecaster!

23 comments:

  1. QUESTION FOR THE DOWNLOAD: Albert Lee will participate in this year's Masters Of The Telecaster camp (Sept. 30 to Oct. 4 in Big Indian, NY). Who's your favorite Master Of The Telecaster?

    https://mastersofthetelecaster.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent choice! Koen compiled a tribute to the man who played Machine Gun Guitar:

      https://majorshole.blogspot.com/2022/11/wilko-johnson-he-did-it-right-didnt-he.html

      Delete
  2. I'm just realizing I've been confusing Albert Lee with Alvin Lee all these years!! Geez ... As far as Tele-Masters I'd have to go with the obvious choice of Keef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have confused them as well! Another pair I get confused is Peter Hammill and Peter Himmelman.

      Delete
  3. Excellent choices all around! I thought for sure someone would mention Clarence White. Koen's compilation (as always) includes a PDF with liner notes, album covers and photos. https://tinyurl.com/CountryBoyLee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar story here Koen. I have recently been amazed by his work and influence and presence across so many great albums and with so many artists. One of the great (and there are many) British country-rockers who were born to play the music. The video of Hands Heads and Feet playing Country Boy on YouTube is wonderfully exciting. Great compilation. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://fissurarock.blogspot.com/2018/06/heads-hands-feet-discografia-essencial.html

      Delete
  5. Kenny Vaughan is amazing. His band leader Marty Stuart is no slouch either, plus Marty plays Clarence White's original Tele string bender.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know I had some Albert Lee till I checked Discogs for his collaborations, and guess what EH in th UK has him as one of two guitarists on side one, and he solos on side two, with a trio of Yes and Steve Winwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted, Richard! Complete credits for the Eddie Harris album "EH in the UK" (1974):

      https://www.discogs.com/release/6106057-Eddie-Harris-EH-In-The-UK

      Delete
    2. Jeff Beck, Boz Burrell, Zoot Money, Ian Paice, Tony Page, and Neil Hubbard are on there too.

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Koen and Jonder! I have several favorite Masters Of The Telecaster, including Albert Collins and Danny Gatton. But if push came to shove and I needed
    to pick just one such artist, then it would have to be Roy Buchanan. Also, to add to what Jimsbo was saying above, I was fortunate to see Marty Stuart
    and His Fabulous Superlatives a little over a year ago, and I would go so far as to say that every single member of the group (drummer Harry Stinson just as much as bassist Chris Scruggs and the others) seems talented and entertaining enough to be a draw in his own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my wife and I started dating in the late 80's, she got me into some of the better country artists at that time. We saw Marty, Dwight (after Pete Anderson stopped touring), and Rodney Crowell. Rodney had an amazing guitarist in his band named Steuart Smith. In 1997, Rodney made an album with a one-off band called "The Cicadas" featuring Steuart on guitar.

      After Rodney left Emmylou's Hot Band and started a solo career, he named his backing band The Cherry Bombs. Vince Gill and Hank DeVito were among the members. The Cherry Bombs also backed Roseanne Cash (until she and Rodney divorced). In 2004, an album called The Notorious Cherry Bombs was released. Vince Gill had become a star in his own right, so he and Rodney took turns on lead vocals. Coincidentally, the lead guitarist was Richard Bennett, who was in Marty Stuart's band in the late 80's and early 90's. In fact, Richard plays lead guitar on Marty's version of "High On A Mountaintop" (featured on my Soundalikes post). I've only seen Kenny Vaughan on the small screen, when Marty and his Superlatives had a TV show.

      Delete
  8. The first name that came to me was the mighty Bill Kirchen. I had to google who else uses a Tele and have to concur with the other commenters - James Burton, Vince Gill, et al.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that James Burton, and Kenny Vaughan are aces, but I have to stick with Bill Kirchen for my personal favorite because of the live version of Hot Rod Lincoln where he imitates other guitarists styles as he passes them by. I've seen Bill a few times AND Kenny Vaughan playing behind Luciinda Williams. Great comp, Koen! - Stinky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everybody for your positive comments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks very much, the Jonkokin crew! I would have James Burton as #1, closely followed by Steve Cropper and probably Bill Kirchen and Will Ray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Andre! Steve Cropper definitely deserves a place among the Masters. I had to look up Will Ray, and I see that he was a Hellecaster!

      Delete