Wednesday, October 9, 2024

No Wave - ANOTHER Blatant Attempt To Influence Your Musical Taste

When Koen first shared his Propaganda project with us, I noticed that the second one was titled Propaganda (No Wave II). That parenthetical subtitle triggered a memory of the first A&M No Wave compilation album (with the  surfer on an ironing board). The title, of course, had nothing to do with Mars, DNA, Teenage Jesus, or James Chance. 

There's a picture disc version called No Wave To Go with the surfer on side one and a picture of a pizza on the flipside.  It was also released on "blue water" translucent vinyl.

Like its Propaganda sequels, there were other version of No Wave with different tracklists.  The Canadian version of No Wave drops the Stranglers' tracks and substitutes two songs by David Kubinec from his 1978 A&M LP Some Things Never Change. Kubinec's album was produced by John Cale, and it featured Chris Spedding and Ollie Halsall on guitar.  (The Stranglers were signed to A&M in the US, but not in Canada or the UK.)

There's yet another A&M compilation titled No Wave, which came out in 1979.  This one includes Kubinec as well as other artists featured on Propaganda -- Bobby Henry, The Secret, and Shrink.  In the UK, these artists were signed to Oval Records (which also released a version of Propaganda II). A&M had a deal with Oval Records, and promoted their artists through these compilations.  

Similarly, it was a deal between A&M and Miles Copeland which led to both No Wave and Propaganda featuring Squeeze, The Police, and Klark Kent. 

According to this interview with Dickies guitarist Stan Lee, A&M "had just kicked the Sex Pistols off the label and were wanting a punk band that wasn't so notorious."  The Dickies scored two hit singles for A&M in the UK. 

More trivia: Dave Murray from The Secret played guitar in Iron Maiden!  Bobby Henry was a member of a band called Bim, which included Stephen Street (who became a producer) and Cameron McVey (who cowrote "Buffalo Stance").

There's some overlap between the compilations, but now you have all the songs from the various versions of Propaganda, Propaganda II and the three versions of No WaveELSEWHERE ON THE BLOG:  Stinky's Homemade Live Joe Jackson Albums.

15 comments:

  1. All 23 songs from A&M's 1978 and 1979 "No Wave" compilations: https://tinyurl.com/VA-NOWAVE

    You get the link, but I do have a question: Who was your LEAST favorite New Wave performer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably Adam and the Ants, they were so gimmicky... Thanks for the Joe Jackson links, those are from before my JOKONKY time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I just reviewed Wikipedia's A to Z of New Wave Artists and found that I really liked almost of all them! Not so favorite NW bands could be Bow Wow Wow, Men without Hats, Kajagoogoo etc. Does anyone remember the Boston-based band, "The Sex Execs" ? Muddy Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the Sex Execs, but Boston was home to one of my least liked new wave bands, Human Sexual Response. Men Without Hats were corny, but I kinda liked Bow Wow Wow (as well as Adam And The Ants).

      Delete
  4. very kool, thanks. Lease fav? Has to be Gruppo Sportivo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I like them, even saw them live many years later. Never considered them as new wave though!

      Delete
  5. I still own the picture disc. I had a guy crashing on my couch in 85 and he was selling my records for cash. This was one he sold. I had to repurchase it to make me whole...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife still curses the memory of the skinheads who stole her Funkadelic LP's and sold them to a used record store.

      Delete
  6. I wore out IRS Greatest Hits Volume 2 & 3: Klark Kent, The Police, Chelsea, Skafish, Fleshtones. Brian James..so many IRS bands on a double album. I always wished they would have released this on CD. Also wore out Joe Jackson: I'm the Man & Elvis Costello Armed Forces albums.
    Best regards
    Zippy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.discogs.com/master/558032-Various-IRS-Greatest-Hits-Vols-2-3

      I agree, this was a great compilation! Maybe we will assemble the songs and post it here. The Urgh soundtrack also had a lot of IRS bands and was another fun double album. Thanks, Zippy!

      Delete
  7. Bow Wow Wow. I love most new wave, but Bow Wow Wow get on my nerves. McLaren didn't exactly pick the singer for her musical abilities and her shrill bleat just annoys the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like Annabella Lwin. I am just slightly older, and she was my Crush. I remember well, that Dire Straits, and The Cars were New Wave, for they were New bands coming along in the New Wave of bands that were coming on. As with Punk, the media branding, did more harm than good. Yeas, Dire Straits and The Cars, least liked. And that is The Cars least liked, The Dire Straits (Or as Urbanus said Diarrhoea States) are one of my Worst Bands Ever. They are on my D spot for avoid bands/acts abc. Together with Abba, Beegees, carPenters, Dire Straits, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac (post1974) Guns n Roses, Hiatt, INXS, Jethro Tull, Kiss, Led Zepplin, Mamas and Papas, NGDB/NRPS ex aequo, Oldfield, Paul Simon, QuicksilverMS (debatable), Rolling Stones, Simon Garfunkel, Toto, U2, Vader Abraham (Smurf song) Webber (any musical will do) etcetera up to ZZ Stop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another winner, Jon!

    I try to focus on the positive, but I'd say my least favorite new wave band was FACE TO FACE. - Stinky

    ReplyDelete