Saturday, September 5, 2026

Marti Jones' Jukebox

 

In my post last week I asked our readers, "Who you wish would make another record?"  One of my own answers was Cassandra Wilson.  Sadly, this immensely talented singer of jazz and blues (and more) died this week at age 70.  Several collections of Cassandra Wilson's music are still available at this blog.  One of the greatest voices I ever had the pleasure to hear in concert.

A reader who goes by JPB In DC mentioned Marti Jones as a singer who hasn't made a record in a long while.  That got me listening again to her albums.  

Marti started her recording career with the short-lived Akron band Color Me Gone, but she is best known in the music world as a solo artist and as the wife and collaborator of Don Dixon.

Dixon produced each of Marti's solo albums, and they got married after the third one (1988's Used Guitars).  They have written wonderful songs together, but I think Marti excels as an interpreter of other writers' compositions.  She has a fabulous voice, and an ear for a great tune.  Dixon creates brilliant arrangements to showcase Marti's vocals.  He is also a terrific duet partner, his gruff voice like the Beast to his wife's Beauty.

Angelo at Power Pop Criminals recently nominated Lisa Mychols as The Queen Of Power Pop. I wouldn't start an argument with an expert like Angelo, but I think Marti deserves a seat at that royal table.  


Fun factoid: Color Me Gone's 1984 EP was coproduced by fellow Akronite Liam Sternberg. Marti sang the demo for a song that Liam wrote called "Walk Like An Egyptian".  Marti later recorded another Liam Sternberg song called "Crusher".

Marti currently focuses on painting.  Her last album, You're Not The Bossa Me, was released in 2014.  Her frustration with the business of music might be summed up in a verse from "Put Me On Top" (an Aimee Mann song that Marti covered):  "I should be riding on a float in a hit parade, instead of standing on a curb behind a barricade."

1 comment:

  1. MARTI JONESEY's JUKEBOX: https://pixeldrain.com/u/gSXy4Lp6

    I will be out of town this (American) holiday weekend, so posting of comment may be delayed --hopefully not again by Blogger!

    ReplyDelete