Monday, March 12, 2018

I'm Excited




I used to write a music blog called Underneathica, which was named after a 1981 song by Pre Fix (the Arizona duo of Johnny Glenn and David Herbert). I was very excited when a friend tipped me to the fact that the song "Underneathica" had been sampled by DJ Shadow.

Even more interesting is that Shadow's song "I'm Excited" had to be pulled from his 2011 album The Less You Know, The Better because the Pre Fix sample wasn't cleared.  A music video was completed, and a promo EP had already been released. DJ Shadow's track features Afrikan Boy, a grime MC from Nigeria (by way of London).

I'm excited to be blogging again. I'm also excited about new releases in 2018 from Hollie Cook, Hot Snakes, Neko Case, Port Sulphur, Redd Kross, Wye Oak, and Zeke.  And I couldn't be more excited that my brother in blogging, Nathan Nothin, has shared some rare live Fall records. I thought he didn't like The Fall, but friends can be full of surprises.  And check out the Fall rarities that HFM, another blog buddy, has offered over at the Heckhole.



7 comments:

  1. Something didn't work with the music player... If you want to DL "Underneathica" go to hulkshare.com/jonder/uploads

    "I'm Excited" is in hulkshare.com/jonder/dropbox -- eventually I'll figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I didn't know about a new release coming from Redd Kross in 2018! Now I'm excited too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're in the studio, with Dale Crover on drums!

      Delete
  3. Hey. I'm excited too, that you have come out in this new blog: didn't join the dots previously between "Underneathica" and PRE FIX, so thank you for the heads up. A brilliant slab of neurotic sound it is too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A brilliant slab of neurotic sound" -- yes! I've loved it ever since it arrived in the mail from Subterranean Records, back in the days when I wrote a fanzine. It's been rumored that Pre Fix recorded five other songs. I've never heard them, but I wonder if they might be disappointing compared to the perfection of "Underneathica" and "Ectomorphine".

      There is a later Johnny Glenn song that you can stream here: www.signalhouserecording.com/tracks/

      Delete
  4. Hello jonder Added Yer To My Blog List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I follow all three of your blogs. That's dedication!

      Delete