Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Stop Me If You've Bought A Bridge Before

Vic Godard with Bid in 2017
This blog has featured collections of singles from the labels Subterranean Records and Armageddon Records. The thought of compiling Rough Trade singles seemed overwhelming until I decided on a set of cover versions.

Rough Trade did it themselves for their 25th anniversary, and there are two cover albums devoted to the seminal Rough Trade compilation LP Wanna Buy A Bridge? I would love to hear Brücke Kaufen and Rebuilding The Bridge if any kind reader can oblige.

I wish I could have found a Blue Orchids cover. Three songs from their 1982 debut album The Greatest Hit (Money Mountain) have been covered by other artists, but none were songs released as Rough Trade singles.

Speaking of the Blue Orchids, this past year Martin Bramah & co. released the world's first concept album comprised of cover songs.  (One of them, "Addicted To The Day", is actually an unrecorded Mark E. Smith lyric that Bramah set to music.) 

While we're on the topic of cover albums, Scarred For Life by Medicine is new and highly recommended. It's great to hear Annette Zilinskas' voice again. And on the topic of voices: Marquis Smith appears (from the bleedin' choir invisible) on a new track from Jan St. Werner called VS Cancelled! Holy Von Südenfed, Batman!

Danke schön to Why Do Things Have To Change for Der Durstige Mann, Futures & Pasts for the A-Lines, Gurkasaki for Mummy The Peepshow, and Zero G Sounds for The More Extended Versions. Photo of Vic and Bid borrowed from www.themonochromeset.co.uk. The Monochrome Set will tour the US in May 2020 in support of their 2019 album Fabula Mendax; Vic Godard also released an album in 2019 called Mum's Revenge, and he continues to write and perform. Vic has recently collaborated with The Nightingales and with Helen McCookerybook.

12 comments:

  1. Stop Me If You've Bought A Bridge Before:
    25 songs from the first five years of Rough Trade Records.
    LINK: https://tinyurl.com/r68rdo5

    Please comment if you like this stuff; I've found another two dozen cover songs from the early Rough Trade catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonder -- I'm sure I'll like it if/when I ever get around to listening to it! Definitely seems worth throwing up on the shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your honest reply! There's lots of stuff on my "shelf" that I haven't listened to yet!

      Delete
  3. Jonder -- this is a great comp -- and appreciate the detailed liner notes too. Hope there's a Part 2!

    Finchy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Finchy!!! I was hoping that I didn't overdo it with the liner notes. I have enough songs for a Part 2, and will post it soon.

      Delete
  4. Cheers jonder just home and toked in to this...... 1st up "Panik" not exactly on the streets of Liverpool but in a kitchen! Nice work as ever lad. J :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought Billy C's Last Punk Standing LP wasn't up to much but perhaps a nod to MES in the title track? Got a link if you need it bro. Cyrillic script etc. but great sound quality - for evaluation only of course! J :-)

      Delete
    2. In all honesty, I've never followed Billy Childish or his myriad musical cohorts. I'm sure I'm missing something worthwhile. Could you recommend a good starting point for a new listener?

      Delete
    3. Myriad is the word bro. My best mate moved down to Chatham, Kent in the late 80s and went to a few great Medway gigs down there. Billy's back to basics approach is just the job for me at times. I've got a 2 CD comp called 25 Years of Being Childish. It's a bit tricky uploading here at the minute so have a root and see if you can grab otherwise I'll have a go at uploading mate - be good to "pay it all back" - well some of it in thanks for the great stuff you have put my way. OK? J

      Delete
  5. I have 25 Years & most everything Childish. If you so wish any, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind offer, Nathan! I know you have plenty of Nothin' to keep you busy lately, and I have too much in my pile of things to listen to right now. One day my ears will be curious to hear the man Childish. Right now I'm on a Disco Inferno kick (another Rough Trade band).

      Delete