Wednesday, November 4, 2020

What's your country been doing to you?

After the US presidential election in 2016, someone offered as consolation the prospect that at least we would get four years of great punk rock. But did we? I don't keep up with new artists as much as I used to, so maybe people have been making protest music (punk, hip hop, country, reggae, whatever) that has escaped my notice. 

Bandcamp Friday is coming: your recommendations are appreciated. I plan to pick up the new album by Atlanta band Warm Red, Decades Of Breakfast. Not a political band, but one that supports social justice movements while making kickass noise rock.

While we await the electoral outcome, I'm going back to San Francisco... specifically the SF punk scene the late 70's. America was a mess back then too. Here are 30 covers of songs originally recorded by The Avengers, Crime, DK's, Flipper, Lewd, Mutants, Negative Trend, No Alternative, Nuns, Sleepers, Tools, UXA, VKTMS, and others. 

Couldn't find any Offs covers. You'd think some ska punk band with a weak pun for a name (like Skantifa, or Skaronavirus) would be all over "My World" or "Die Babylon".

SF's Pushups are on Bandcamp -- both singles, plus a wealth of previously unreleased songs. "Global Corporation" and "Victims Of Terrorism" sound as timely as ever.  (Image created by Gee Vaucher.)

9 comments:

  1. WE CAN'T HELP IT WE'RE FROM FRISCO:

    http://www.mediafire.com/file/n9tc301442w5adr/SF_PUNK_COVERS.zip/file

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skaronana Virus. Nice.
    /Jeremiah Johnson nod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as an fyi for anyone interested, stamped and signed Gee Vaucher prints are going for quite reasonable prices here: https://www.exitstencilpress.com/prints

    ReplyDelete
  4. America did not produce four great years of punk rock that I witnessed. But speaking of Bandcamp, Japan has been giving us the amazing Otoboke Beaver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have a listen to Otoboke Beaver. Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  5. Otoboke Beaver rools! Zazen Boys....Himitsu's Top Secret is a trip! It features a pregnant geisha smoking a ciggie. Quite funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that I had already seen the Otoboke Beaver video for "Don't Light My Fire". Zazen Boys are new to me, thanks!

      Otoboke Beaver's energy reminds me of another female Japanese band, Bleach03:

      https://youtu.be/mrm0PHOFpMI

      Delete
  6. Now we have a fascist elect as president - enjoy the song writing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a college radio DJ in 1978 I asked Ed Dorn if he would let me use "Pop Power Is On The Air" but the Aurora Pushups as my theme song. He refused and for some reason it has never surfaced even though it's a classic.

    ReplyDelete