Monday, September 23, 2024

B-Side Madness Vol. 2 (more from Koen)

 

 
Great to see all that feedback on the first Vol., so here's no. 2! 
 
This second B-side collection ran into problems as I realized afterwards that I had no idea about any tracks after 1987 since by that time I had moved to Thailand and only purchased cassettes…
Therefore I discarded the original concept of 1980 - 1999 and focused instead on whatever I remembered from those heady days.
Unusual tracks on the flip sides became almost the norm rather than an exception.  
Great for collectors, but financially a lot less so, although I usually waited a bit until the 45 in question was no longer that popular and had ended up in the bargain section.
 
In those days collecting was serious business, no internet, YouTube, eBay, etc., you really had to put in effort, a lot of effort at times!

Radio programs only played B-sides sometimes, so you had to go to your local record store, check if they had anything interesting and take it to a ‘listening station’!
Artists and groups like Elvis Costello and The Police seemed to have only non-album tracks as B-sides… 
 
Other formats popped up too: picture discs, 12 inches, double 7 inches, and even 10 inches!
And of course, most of the time with non-album tracks, but also radio edits, extended versions, disco mixes, remixes, etc…

So once again a (2 CD!) collection that goes all over the place!
In order to get the link we have prepared the following question for you: Did you ever have any 'special' kind of vinyl? If so, please let us know!

1 comment:

  1. One of my vinyl survivors (I sold most of it in the late 80s for peanuts...) is the B.E.F. – Music Of Quality And Distinction - Volume One, the whole album as a 5x7" vinyl box set, pretty cool. I used to have a similar box set of Joe Jackson's I'm The Man, but that one got pinched by someone...

    ReplyDelete