Saturday, September 21, 2024

ETON CROP: EC=God

[A pleasant surprise from Richard was this compilation of his favorite tracks by Dutch band Eton Crop.  They were contemporaries of The Fall, The Nightingales, The Three Johns, and The Membranes.  Richard's compilation was accompanied by these words.  Take it away, Richard!]

Musicians (I'd say four guys, but they are not four and not all guys) originating from the famous town of Kudelstaart, in the Netherlands. They started somewhere end 70s early 80s. They made some tapes and d.i.y singles and evolved from The Fall-ish punk through doom and free-form to a point in 85 when they recorded It's My Dog, Maestro. They found their form. 

Over the next few years they went and did highly regarded Peel Sessions, recorded a few (mini)albums and by the year 1990 it was all different again. Techno came, and after a Get Real! album and another few singles, they became EC Groove Society.


I include only from their 80s music the things I really love.  As you go through the titles, you'll find the obvious covers (Paraffin Brain from The Nightingales, and February 6th from Buy Off The Bar) as well as a lot of songs fit for various theme compilations.

Sexy Politicians (get your name out of my face), Coca-Colonization (get your brand name out of my face), Boy Meets Tractor (car trouble) The Modified Martingale ((yet to be released) Mad/Meth-a-Amatica). And what's more, they have songs about Chess. Not the musical, but the actual Glorious Game, chess. Wow indeed.

Now all you have to do is listen, and when you reach the penultimate track, you too will sing along with 
Bloody Hell, It's A Lovesong (This all I ever need, this is all I ever wanted, this is all I ever need in my life).  What more do you want? They have it all, Trumpets, Violins and Toy instruments.

[Eton Crop's music from the 80's is available for streaming and name-your-price download at Bandcamp.  Thanks again to Richard for introducing our ears to this excellent band.]

2 comments:

  1. ETON CROP: EC=God

    https://tinyurl.com/EtonCropGod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard & Jonder, I will give them a good try as I wasn't familiar with them at all... Same for "the famous town of Kudelstaart", never heard of it before either ;-)

      Delete