Sunday, October 13, 2024

The Medleys Vol. 1: I Feel Fine / The Sidewinder

I guess it all started in 1966, my parents had a record player, and one of the lps my mom bought was James Last’s Non Stop Dancing 66 (28 Hits Für Ihre Party)
Unnecessary to say I had never heard of this guy, he certainly wasn’t played much on Dutch radio, but my mom loved dancing!
So bit by bit I got familiar with his style; big band medleys (or ‘potpourris’!) of hits of the day, a totally new experience to me!
Even so, this was not really my cup of tea, I preferred the original hits.
But somehow the concept of a medley stuck and I started paying more attention whenever I encountered one.  

Beatles and 50s rock ’n roll medleys were usually not particular special, but Jerry Lee Lewis did a great one on his London Sessions!

Lately the Dutch have been blamed for lots of crimes in the past (slavery, genocide, invention of the stock market, clogs, windmills, 2nd rate Flying Burrito Brothers, tulips, Heineken, etc.), but if there’s any reason for exterminating the Dutch once and for all we must go back to 1981 when a Dutch (no surprise) dude called Jaap Eggermont came up with the unholy idea of releasing an onslaught of disco medleys which were ridiculously popular…
Any serious music lover started vomiting whenever they heard these Stars On 45 abominations played on the radio…
Despite this aural torture I kept my faith on discovering more superior medleys.
Over the years I encountered some which managed to combine unusual songs to say the least, stringing Beatles songs together is not that special, but going from their ‘I Feel Fine’ to Lee Morgan’s ‘The Sidewinder’ is a whole different story.
And ABBA’s folk medley isn’t bad either, the only time they recorded songs NOT written by themselves!

So here for your listening pleasure I gathered 11 tracks which imho raises the medley quality quite a bit.
Number 12 is a kind of wonky bonus, added just to give you an idea of how James ‘The Gentleman of Pop’ Last did it!
In hindsight going from Bob Dylan to Shawn Elliot to Screaming Lord Sutch is quite a feat, although perhaps not a particularly great one, but still…

Please let us at JOKONKY know your favorite medley!

p.s. A second volume will follow in due time.

LINKS:
https://www.discogs.com/master/297034-James-Last-Band-Non-Stop-Dancing-66-28-Hits-F%C3%BCr-Ihre-Party
https://onebuckrecords.blogspot.com/2024/05/uh-oh-those-burrito-brothers-are-flying.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_on_45


7 comments:

  1. Note our new banner showing our respect for the past (Buck Rogers!) and commitment to the future!
    Whether anyone alive in the 25th Century actually would care about our eclectic / inane collections remains to be seen of course...
    Oh, almost forgot, link for the above medley treasure collection will be featured after several replies, we're nothing but interactive here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad ELP are gone, I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather listen to El-P than ELP. Janes Addiction have been in the news lately for all the wrong reasons, but years ago (before Perry and Dave became completely full of themselves), they did a fun LA Medley: LA Woman, Nausea, and Lexicon Devil.

      Delete
  3. I am Dutch, I am not proud to be Dutch and I spit on those who are proud for anything other than their own results. Proud to be American? And that's all you've ever done? Pfff. Glad you brought in the Wiki page for Stars On 45 were you could have gotten the right info about the origins. A bootleg medley was made and since Joost Den Draaier had the rights to Venus (Shocking Blue), he made sure a legal version was made, and that was so succesful he started a brand (with Jaap E).
    As you fail to mention other regions of the world have a High Level of Medley. It was in the past the main go to form of dance music. Cleverly stringing along good tunes for weddings, or any other grande festivity. Latin medleys, jazz medleys, up to the Beatles in Hamburg stringing along songs into the night. Elvis did medleys, most famous his American Trilogy, wether you like it or not. In West Africa, and especially Nigeria, album after album brought medleys. You have had King Sunny Ade. He almost exclusively made medleys. Even his Island albums were medleys here the UK executive spliced the songs for the Uk market.
    And now my favourite medley album
    CHIEF COMMANDER EBENEZER OBEY AND HIS INTER-REFORMERS BAND - EYI YATO
    https://globalgroovers.com/2009/04/chief-commander-ebenezer-obey-and-his-2.html
    Download and say thanks to Moos for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write these posts usually tongue in cheek, so don't take them too seriously... Having said that, at the time Stars On 45 became popular not many people knew about the background, at least I certainly didn't and therefore tried to convey my 1981 feelings.
      Of course medleys have been around in all parts of the world and Chief Commander Ebenezer is a very good choice. Plus globalgroovers is a great site!

      Delete
    2. I am reaching out my hand to you.I was glued to the radio at some point of my childhood, and I taped that medley on which Stars on 45 was based. 45 years after the fact, I might have known the Stars on 45 story is not common knowledge for everyone.
      And as you usually write things a bit tongue in cheek, I might mostly be over-enthousiastic the serious way up. Here is another one of the best medleys.
      Moos: Certainly I’m not the first blogger to post this here LP. Every self respecting African music collector should have this in their archive and I’m sure most of you already do. It’s a classic and therefore it is justified to appear oncemore I guess. If you didn’t have it yet, take your chance today. With Eric Agyeman, Thomas Frimpong, sublime highlife from Ghana.
      https://globalgroovers.com/2010/10/dr-k-gyasi-his-noble-kings-sikyi.html

      Delete
  4. Because I love cover versions of songs, my favorite medleys are when an act does a medley of ANOTHER act's songs. When an artist does a medley of their own songs in concert it always feels to me like they're shortchanging the audience. In my opinion, a song should make the setlist, or it shouldn't. - Stinky

    ReplyDelete