Sunday, October 8, 2023

ZIP IT! Volume 1


Stinky and I often trade ideas for compilations.  A few don't fly, but others really take wing.  He recently started compiling songs with "Shut Up" as the title (or theme).  

As they say in the entertainment biz, I had notes.  We traded emails and text messages, and pretty soon we had enough songs for four volumes of this foolishness.  

Zip It! is the title of the series.  Shutting your mouth (or someone else's) is the theme.  And as Steve Earle once put it, you know the rest.

I suspect that Stinky was inspired by "Word To The Wise" from his recent Bill Kirchen compilations.  I think I suggested The Monks, "Hush", and "Our Lips Are Sealed".  

This first set includes a number of artists previously featured in this blog: Chuck Berry, Joan Jett, Dr. Feelgood, Fun Boy Three, Bill "Dieselbilly" Kirchen, and Pearl Harbour (the patron saint of Jonderblog).  Great news: Pearl is performing with a new band called Pearl Harbour Country!

Blog readers have reported dead links for the 2010 Comeback SpecialEva Cassidythe Talk Box compilations, Stinky's tribute to Stiv Batorsand the RFTT/Ubu Waffle House At Walden Pond.  New links have been posted.

Enjoy our first Zip It collaboration!  There are several more to come.  If you have any song suggestions (or other dead links to report), don't keep your mouth shut -- share them in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. Jon-Ky Records Presents: Zip It! Volume 1

    https://tinyurl.com/zipitgood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! (I know you said not to keep my mouth shut, but it's surely best not to tempt fate. In fact, I'm reminded of that one time when . . . woops! Never mind. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny how we don't talk anymore. Thanks, CD!

      Delete
  3. Thank you again, nice idea, although you forgot my favorite; Big Joe Turner - Honey Hush!
    I've prepared already a special ZIP IT! folder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great one! There's a total of four volumes so far, and we're taking requests!

      Delete
  4. Ha ha you guys started my week out with a laugh. Great theme! When I worked a year in L.A. (just so I could see the bands like Black Flag, Angry Samoans, Youth Brigade, Dickies, Bad Brains, Fishbone, Crazytown, Self, Gary Wilson and the Blind Dates and many more that year) our office social center Marcie used to say 'Shut Up' off the cuff all the time..seemingly at me mostly LOL. A BIG THANKS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I'd seen some of those bands, especially Angry Samoans and the Dickies! I did see Fishbone open for Beastie Boys (on the Licensed to Ill tour), and I saw Bad Brains not long after the ROIR tape came out.

      Delete
    2. Wow cool early BAD BRAINS!!! Also, I told the Beastie Boys while walking drunk with the gal I mashed with in adjoining "Abe Bigoda hotel" room (they from Kent State us four from U of MN on organized bus trip from campus) that the BBoys sprayed with champagne with our 'Drunken Hero' bus friend for MTV Spring Break 1986 in Daytona (I am on youtube clip at start in BB shirt), that "Fishbone would blow them away" when they told me they were touring with the band cause I had just seen Bonin' in the USA tour and was drunk and wanted to go in their limo to party but they let me walk with them since I organized with MTV camera guys after beach that we were having a big 'party' in our room so I rode elevator up with Rick Rubin meeting him and their trim coordinator and had my bus tape I brought with Cooky Pus/She's On it etc. blasting in the room when the buoys arrived. I had bonded with them all in my coincidentally Bad Brain Lightning/Capitol shirt right when MCA led the troupe in the hotel he shook my hand first telling me their love for the band and at the end they let me walk with them to their limo and I threw in that zinger line right before I had to drunkenly go woman in my arm. Of course they gave me the frat boy line they were using that tour 'why are you here!!" from trim coordinator. But anyway I like to take credit for ruffling their feathers on Paul's Boutique when MCA says 'People come up to me and they try to talk shit man...I've been making records since you were sucking you mother's dick!!". It felt like I influenced that. Ha HA

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a fun night! You were right about Fishbone, though.

      Read me my rights as if I didn't know this
      Threw me in the tank with a drunk called Otis
      With his 5 o'clock shadow he smelled of 3-day old beer
      My man turned to me and said, "WHY ARE YOU HERE?"
      I said, "I'm charming, I'm dashing, I'm rental-car bashing
      I'm phony paper passing at Nick's Check Cashing"

      Delete
  5. This series just doesn't want to stop. Titles/songs just keep presenting themselves! How did we miss: "Don't Talk To Strangers" - Stinky

    ReplyDelete